Author Topic: Last book you read.  (Read 33558 times)

Moolick

Re: Last book you read.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 02:34:06 pm »
I'm not sure Animal Farm was a prediction, wasn't it more of a description? By the time he wrote it the Soviet Union had already gone down that path. I also get a bit annoyed when people take 1984 to be a prediction, saying things like 'Orwell was right, what he predicted in 1984 is coming true'. 1984 wasn't intended to predict the events of a future Europe, it was a cautionary tale about totalitarianism. He did write some predictions for the post war years and they were generally optimistic. They were also quite accurate (although he predicted the post-war labour shortage would be filled by Poles, rather than West-Indians and Indians, so he missed out on the multiculturalism that so invigorated Britain.  Even then, the Poles did come, in the end. But that's a whole other subject.)
[size=200] PCP   ★ ☭ ★   PCP[/size]
For sale: Cheap Q1 House. 3.3gold. Less for PCP members or Navy personnel.

bowen199

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 01:41:43 am »
Quote from: "Moolick"
I'm not sure Animal Farm was a prediction, wasn't it more of a description? By the time he wrote it the Soviet Union had already gone down that path. I also get a bit annoyed when people take 1984 to be a prediction, saying things like 'Orwell was right, what he predicted in 1984 is coming true'. 1984 wasn't intended to predict the events of a future Europe, it was a cautionary tale about totalitarianism. He did write some predictions for the post war years and they were generally optimistic. They were also quite accurate (although he predicted the post-war labour shortage would be filled by Poles, rather than West-Indians and Indians, so he missed out on the multiculturalism that so invigorated Britain.  Even then, the Poles did come, in the end. But that's a whole other subject.)

Good though wasn't it?

Moolick

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 02:42:23 am »
I think 1984 and Animal Farm were the least interesting of his books. I like his journalism and essays. But, yes, it was rather good. In his collected works there is a letter from an American publisher rejecting Animal Farm with a short note saying 'animal stories aren't selling at the moment'. A few months later they sent another note begging to publish it! He gave away the translation rights to anyone willing to publish it.

johnobrow

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:03 am »
Homage to Catalonia is pretty mega.
EREP IS DEAD LABOUR AND DEAD TIME - LIFE IS ELSEWHERE
-------->DESTROY THAT WHICH DESTROYS YOU<--------

james p

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »
Animal Farm was published in 1945 when the Soviets were on the up and up.
  ;)
James

Quote from: "Goku_Jones"
Quote from: "IndieKid"
but meat eaters eat veg too
But we don't give a shit.

Private in RN
Fought in:
Kansas,Oklahoma

Moolick

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 12:47:33 am »
I wouldn't call the height of the Stalinist dictatorship 'the up and up'. The Soviet experiment in communism had long since descended into tragedy by 1945. Orwell knew this, but the left in the UK were deliberately turning a blind eye to it.

james p

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 01:26:25 am »
I wouldn't call the height of the Stalinist dictatorship 'the up and up'. The Soviet experiment in communism had long since descended into tragedy by 1945. Orwell knew this, but the left in the UK were deliberately turning a blind eye to it.
I meant that the economy was booming andthat it was one of the biggest superpowers of theera.
James

Quote from: "Goku_Jones"
Quote from: "IndieKid"
but meat eaters eat veg too
But we don't give a shit.

Private in RN
Fought in:
Kansas,Oklahoma

johnobrow

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 10:14:42 am »

The Soviet Union started to die in January 1918 with the closure of the Constituent Assembly. It finally died in March 1921 with the massacre at the Kronstadt mutiny. With that Lenin's experiment failed in Soviet Russia.

concon562

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 12:20:40 pm »
Last: The Testament - John Grisham
Current: Playfair Cricket Annual - Bill Frindall.
This signature is blank..

Do not write on this signature..

Togius

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
Gullstruck Island - Frances Hardinge
The Lies of Locke Lemorra - Scott Lynch

Hardinge's work is generally excellent.  Billed as a children's book, it deals with genocide, superstition, betrayal, idealism, and so on.   I'd strongly recommend her work, with the caveat that it's not as easy as it might looks.

Lynch has a compelling style which he uses to portray a character that's very much style over substance.  There is a element however, in which the book itself suffers the same fate.  It's very good style, but I found myself not really caring about the central character as much as the supporting cast.

Anaxima

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 10:41:03 pm »
Last - Doktor glas by Hjalmar Söderberg
Current - We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates.

I've read Doktor Glas once before when I was too young really, it's a Swedish classic and I'm glad I re-read it :)
JCO is almost always awesome. o/
Nothing matters. We're all dust.
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")

johnobrow

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 12:59:37 pm »
Quote from: "Togius"
Hardinge's work is generally excellent.  Billed as a children's book, it deals with genocide, superstition, betrayal, idealism, and so on.

A children's book about genocide?  :shock:  :?

Tarl Brown

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 05:58:39 pm »
Last: Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium
Current: Atatürk, Rebirth of a Nation

MortenLond

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »
Last book: Red Storm Rising.

Very interesting book, good description of battles and such. Should definately be made into a full motion picture  ;)

Currently: The God Delusion (although I have already read it several times, I just love the argumentation and the way it is written. Can only hope to remember all the arguments, so that I might remember it to when debating with hardcore christians.

hazz

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:21 am »
Quote from: "MortenLond"
Currently: The God Delusion (although I have already read it several times, I just love the argumentation and the way it is written. Can only hope to remember all the arguments, so that I might remember it to when debating with hardcore christians.
I attempted to listen to this on audiotape, but promptly realised that it's the most useless medium on which to have a book of its nature.
<Woldy> ohlol
<Woldy> I thought someone was blowing a vuvuzela
<Woldy> and I shouted shut up over the fence
<Woldy> and later found out it was someone trying to play a trombone

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:46 am »
Last: The Judging Eye, R. Scott Bakker
Current: By any means, Charley Boorman

ps. if you try using the arguments in the God Delusion against a theologian and not a redneck you'll find them sadly lacking.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Balthamel

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:37 am »
Last: The Idiot by Dostoyevsky
Current: The Country of the Blind and Other Selected Stories by H. G. Wells

ps. Ian Keers speaks truth in regards to Dawkins, in academic circles he's seen as a bit of jack of all trades yet master of none.
Councillor of Transport for the East of England
Apprentice Minister in MoHA

Lionbeard

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 11:29:16 am »
Last - The Golems Eye
Now - Ptolemy's Gate
"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!" Barbie

Astana

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:36 am »
Last: Ice Station-Matthew Reilly
Current: Area 7-Matthew Reilly

Great author, Tom Crichton meets Tom Clancy
Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves!

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 12:16:50 pm »
I've never read this book, but "Knowledge of God" by this philosopher Alvin Plantinga, he apparently smashes The God Delusion to bits. I've tried reading Alvin Plantinga, he's too difficult for me  :lol:

But if any of you feel like a challenge, there's a book for you :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: