Author Topic: Disable Post Counts  (Read 1964 times)

Fearless Dingo

Disable Post Counts
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:03:49 am »
They only encourage spam, pointless "count to 100" threads and ill-thought-out replies. I take the point that they are also a measure of "useful" activity but they incite the worst sort of yahoo to try and get to a certain number of posts first by posting garbage. Some of the best forums of which I'm a member do not have post counts for this very reason.

So I have a suggestion. On Monday night at midnight the boards will have been here for almost exactly five days. Might I suggest that anyone with a post count exceeding a sensible amount of posts to have made in that time - say 300 or have Nel pick a figure - have their post count permanently disabled. Given that everybody started at zero this should be a fair way to identify, and stop, pointless spam.
[size=85]"Humanity will never go to the stars. And if we do, it won't be for knowledge, and it won't be in peace, and humanity will be lying and backstabbing and enslaving and torturing each other every inch of the way." - Terrifel, SDMB[/size]

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
Re: Disable Post Counts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:49 am »
and how exactly do you account fir me? I am awake in all 3 major time zones (UK, US, Aus) and so should have a 3x larger count, no?

Fearless Dingo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:23:10 am »
Quote from: "Taytaz"
and how exactly do you account fir me? I am awake in all 3 major time zones (UK, US, Aus) and so should have a 3x larger count, no?

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

Are you claiming that since you post in three forums you should have three times the allowed count? Surely then that should be one-third. Or are you claiming that because you're an insomniac you can't sleep and therefore post to try and tire yourself out? Because I'm all for equal rights for insomniacs but not positive discrimation. Or are you claiming that your day contains more than the standard 24 hours (72 in fact) or that you exist at three times normal speed hence your need for a three times larger count?
[size=85]"Humanity will never go to the stars. And if we do, it won't be for knowledge, and it won't be in peace, and humanity will be lying and backstabbing and enslaving and torturing each other every inch of the way." - Terrifel, SDMB[/size]

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:28:58 am »
you guys post in UK primetime, right...so do I
You guys are asleep during Aus primetime...I am Aussie, so I post then aswell
You guys are not usually at a computer when Americans are...I am

So yes, I am on the forums three times as much, but not 72 hrs, just 3 times more than you

SKQ62

• Party - TUP
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:03 am »
you guys post in UK primetime, right...so do I
You guys are asleep during Aus primetime...I am Aussie, so I post then aswell
You guys are not usually at a computer when Americans are...I am

So yes, I am on the forums three times as much, but not 72 hrs, just 3 times more than you

I should hope you're not on the forums 72 hours! But also, Aussies presumably post on the Aussie boards and the Americans, on their boards.

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:18 am »
Hint: Deathtoll is American
Hint: Our para CO is Aussie
Hint: There are probably just less non-UKers than actual Brits in the eUK

SKQ62

• Party - TUP
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:38:02 am »
Hint: Deathtoll is American
Hint: Our para CO is Aussie
Hint: There are probably just less non-UKers than actual Brits in the eUK

Haha, touche. But they post in just the one timezone :P

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 12:00:39 pm »
Why?

SparkieGeek

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:06:26 pm »
I would argue that all post counts should be disabled. Why bother working out what a "reasonable" number of posts are? I agree that having this "status" displayed next to each post encourages ill-thought out replies and spam. It was getting to a point before Taytaz and Bob Boblo were banned that I was getting really annoyed at the amount of spam, and considered giving up on the forums/eUK community.
SparkieGeek - Commodore, Southern Fleet, BCORE Graduate A*, ex-Para, ex-MoTA

Quote from: "Arthur Wellesley"
WHERE ARE THE REST OF MY GUARDS
FFS. I'm the only one in here
*       A_Wellesley sobs
- feeling lonely? Join the eRoyalNavy !

Fearless Dingo

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:56:07 pm »
Quote from: "SparkieGeek"
I would argue that all post counts should be disabled. Why bother working out what a "reasonable" number of posts are? I agree that having this "status" displayed next to each post encourages ill-thought out replies and spam. It was getting to a point before Taytaz and Bob Boblo were banned that I was getting really annoyed at the amount of spam, and considered giving up on the forums/eUK community.

Just trying to suggest a "middle road" that might be agreeable to all. I could do without post counts completely myself.

Draaglom

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »
A simpler and more effective solution would be to set the spam forum(s) as a 'no-postcount' forum. Posts there won't add to your postcount. And then enforce the rules about spam everywhere else.

I'm sure that's an option in phpBB.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
[size=200][/size]

tikilu

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »
well there is an alternative...something we do on a forum i admin...

have a specific spam board where people can go crazy but posts aren't counted, its surprising how much spam calms down. topics here aren't locked unless a fight breaks out!

everywhere else spam is not tolerated. 1st offence gets deleted, 2nd gets a warning, 3rd offence gets a short ban, further offences get longer bans depending on how annoying they are. it soon becomes pointless to keep spamming non-spam areas, and those that need to have somewhere to do it.  :lol:

also once a thread get past its usefulness it should be locked asap, once thread has served its purpose but is left open it is like a red flag(no offence to the pcp intended! :lol:) and spam is inevitable!
Diplomacy: The art of saying 'Nice doggie!' ... till you can find a rock.
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it. -G.B. Shaw

YouHaveRecieved

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
Why not add a respect or karma system where you can respect people or disrespect people for good or bad posts. Then on certain milestones you have a different userbar statement like Rookie, Ledgend or whatever. It makes people post more usefull posts and actually rewards them and people have no reason to spam as it serves no purpose.

Oexis

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »
On a forum I used to use there was a reward system for posts. There were also rankings to show how helpful a player was based on how many votes they got, because players could vote up helpful posts and flag bad ones.

I also would agree that post count should be disabled - only spammers tend to care - and I like the idea of a spam section with zero-tolerance everywhere else
Oexis

Sigged by: thehorseltd, Bob Boblo, ThomasR26

YouHaveRecieved

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 06:08:07 pm »
You could just make it the random board as there are word games in there and more serious stuff should not be posted in there.

Horice P Fossil

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 07:53:25 pm »
Would there be a way of people only getting an increase in thier count if others agree that thier post has added to the debate? and post not counted in the non erep section?

Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »
Does it really matter either way?

Are there really people jealous or aspiring to a number on a forum?
HRH Pope Digby V, Prince of Hanover, KC, KG, KP, GBE, OGS, FRSL, BGD, PhD
Chancellor of BBH Open University

wazcaster

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:32 pm »
I think posts in the random forum shouldn't be counted. I tend to agree with the karma system idea for each individual post. Would there be any way of making it so that if a user goes below a certain level they would get some sort of penalty?
I[/url] II

Horice P Fossil

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »
Quote from: "Digby Chicken-Caesar"
Does it really matter either way?

Are there really people jealous or aspiring to a number on a forum?
Your right,most of my posts are playing the silly games in random and comedy and mean nothing.

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:10 pm »
P.S. I deleted this post because itwas extremely rude