Author Topic: View Unread posts  (Read 829 times)

wyli

View Unread posts
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:08:48 pm »
Would it be possible to change the "View New posts" index link to a "View Unread posts" link instead, or have both?

If you're logged in for a while, the view new posts screen just grows in length, becoming increasingly useless.  View unread posts makes staying on top of multiple threads a lot easier, and it's easier to reset it by clicking the mark all read, rather than having to log out and in again.

Had a quick look to see if phpbb could actually do it before i suggested it, and ended up at this link, not sure if it helps though:-  http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=550149
wyli - Bringing back the cheese board

SKQ62

• Party - TUP
Re: View Unread posts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:18 pm »
Quote from: "wyli"
Would it be possible to change the "View New posts" index link to a "View Unread posts" link instead, or have both?

If you're logged in for a while, the view new posts screen just grows in length, becoming increasingly useless.  View unread posts makes staying on top of multiple threads a lot easier, and it's easier to reset it by clicking the mark all read, rather than having to log out and in again.

Had a quick look to see if phpbb could actually do it before i suggested it, and ended up at this link, not sure if it helps though:-  http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=550149

Are you talking about the same kind of thing as the "view unanswered post" link?

wyli

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »
Naa, that just shows you posts that no-one has replied to, what i'm suggesting is a button/link to show you all posts that you haven't read, or marked as read.

Feral

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »
What? There already is unread posts here.

Link - search.php?search_id=newposts

Also, if u want to mark all posts read (so next time u ocme its new posts since last visits its index.php?hash=d675b55c&mark=forums

wyli

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »
No, its a new posts link, not an unread posts link.  Basically, you can click the new posts link, and it shows you posts since you last logged in - right, fine.  If you click mark all forums read, it marks all forums read - right, fine.  Now if you click show new posts again, it *still* shows *new* posts since you last logged in - it doesn't show *unread* posts, as there shouldn't be any as you just marked everything read.  A show unread posts link would initially show the same as the new posts link, but after clicking mark all forums read, would then show as empty, and would gradually reduce in size as you read through them (or increase if people can spam faster than you read).

I'm not sure i'm making myself very clear here.  How about an example:

I log in to the board, i click "View New Posts" and there are 5 new posts.  I read all of them, then tab over and go check my erepublik account.  I come back to the forum, click "view new posts" again and it now shows 7.  The same 5 as before, that i've already read, and 2 new ones, that i haven't.

Now, an example of what i'm suggesting:

I log in to the board, i click "view unread posts" and there are 5 new posts. I read all of them, then tab over and go check my erepublik account.  I come back to the forum, click "view unread posts" and it now shows 2 - the 2 posts that i haven't read, it doesn't include any thread i'm already up to date with.

Basically, the current link really mean "New posts since last login" as thats what it shows, and I'd like to see a "Users Unread Posts" as well/instead.

Someone please tell me that made more sense!

elbanaan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »
well, i didn't read ur big explanation, but I guess you just want it like it was in the old forum =)
(which indeed was better)
★ elbanaan ★

wyli

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:52 pm »
Well, not really, that wasn't the same thing either.

I'd like a link that shows you a list of all threads that are currently marked as unread to you - ie all ones that have a little red circle instead of a blue one.

The current "Show New Posts" link doesn't show you this, it shows you all new posts since you last logged on, no matter whether you've read them or not.

Feral

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:50:02 pm »
ITs already there, if theres a post in a topic/forum you have not read, the icon will be red.

wyli

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:30:09 pm »
But there's nothing that shows you *only* red ones.

If there's been a lot of posting, and you've looked at some here, some there, it gets really easy to miss things, it's really useful just showing the unread ones.

Here's the mod that i'm talking about btw:  http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=788695

anarchist13

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:36:36 pm »
I see what you mean

It is a good idea

so long as it doesn't show about 5 new posts from the same topic
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Quote from: "GabrielMc"
Johnobrow makes even Engels go "woah! steady on mate!"
[/i]