: Citizenship in Sports  ( 985 )

SirRoman

• : 74
Citizenship in Sports
« : October 11, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »
With the whole Adnan Januzaj debate raging, I was wondering what your opinions would be on this issue. I personally believe that if your born in a country, you should play for that country.  It is a complete joke that Diego Costa might now play for Spain, even though he was born and grew up in Brazil, and even played two friendlies for the brazilian side. And asking a belgium born kosovo-albanian to play for england, just shows how desperate the FA is.
Spamicans!
Vote for the Prof!

Prof is the best choice for this election, if you don't want a serious wanker on our little throne.
And even if he's shite, we'll probably have a lot of laughs on the way there.

This is probably my best backing yet.

vip b10

• Archivists
  • : 4451
Re: Citizenship in Sports
« #1 : October 11, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
If a player is eligible for multiple countries I think it should be down to them who they choose to play for, obviously some players like Giggs I would of loved to see play for England but he chose wales and it was his decision. Don't really agree with the FA or any other governing bodies getting involved with young players though and trying to convince them to not play for another country, if a player is representing a country it should be because he's good enough to play international football and he's committed to the country
Winner of MiD November 09
Malta_1990 R.I.P
EX-Para CO

LongShotzZ

• Lord Of Everything
  • Party - UKRP
  • : 1595
  • I'm not a racist.
« #2 : October 11, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
I believe that you should be able to play/compete for the country in which either yourself or one of your parents were born. Also, if you are a citizen of that country (usually occurs after 10 years & a test).
Zaphod: "LongShotzZ is slightly better than mediocre."
Sir Rex: "You know you're in deep shit when you have to ask LongShotzZ to bail you out!"
Mwcerberus: "If I had to pick between fighting 50 duck-sized LongShotzZ's or 1 horse-sized LongShotzZ I think I'd have to get my gun and kill all 51."

unstupid

• : 2706
« #3 : October 11, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
It was interesting how Wenger backed up Wilshere's comments regarding this issue. It wasn't so long ago he recommended Almunia for England goalkeeper.

"GREATEST POPE SINCE DIGBY III"

Wayne

• Pretty much the most badass eUKer...
  • Archivists
  • : 2517
« #4 : October 11, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
Ryan Giggs was born in England, yet chose to play for Wales...

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
  • : 6376
« #5 : October 11, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
It's all come from a rather silly example that really won't happen.  Januzaj wouldn't even be eligible to apply for citizenship until 2018, assuming he remains in the country.

No way is a talented player with much stronger ties to other nations going to hang about until he's 23 on the off chance that he gets picked for a country that he has no real connection with.

Also, Belgium are a pretty fucking good team.  He should pick them.

The argument in general is much more difficult though.  I think if you've grown up here then I think you have every right to be proud of being British and playing for England.  If, however you came here later on in life to play football, then you shouldn't be eligible.

I don't think many people would say John Barnes should never have played for England.  A good current example is Saido Berahino who plays for the mighty Baggies and is also banging the goals in for England U21's.  Born in Burundi, he came here when he was 10 (earlier in his life than Barnes) and I have no doubt that he's a proud Brit.

I reckon there should be 3 ways to qualify:

1) Born in England
2) At least one English parent
3) Lived here before turning 15 and with British citizenship

Also, if you are a citizen of that country (usually occurs after 10 years & a test).

It's generally 5 years and the test only applies to non EU citizens.
« : October 11, 2013, 07:08:06 PM Dan Moir »

Carlini8

• MU - Command - The Legion
  • : 678
« #6 : October 11, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
The only thing that should be up for debate is that age in Dan's point 3 - "3) Lived here before turning 15 and with British citizenship".

What age should that actually be?

Everything else is just stupid. If I moved to Albania today I could play for them when I am 28. I would still be English...

Sir Botham

• : 3519
« #7 : December 27, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
With the whole Adnan Januzaj debate raging, I was wondering what your opinions would be on this issue. I personally believe that if your born in a country, you should play for that country.  It is a complete joke that Diego Costa might now play for Spain, even though he was born and grew up in Brazil, and even played two friendlies for the brazilian side. And asking a belgium born kosovo-albanian to play for england, just shows how desperate the FA is.

England may not have a cricket team if they only picked Englishmen.

[size=150]☭[/size][/color]

Lady Rainicorn

• Sexiest Voice in the eUK
  • : 2689
« #8 : December 30, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »

England may not have a cricket team if they only picked Englishmen.

I don't think we currently have one
Founder of eUK Domestic eCricket League
Special Forces
FM #39
MBE
Ex-Speaker of the HoC

: :
:
/
:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?: