Author Topic: The stupid captcha. Also, help forums?  (Read 1634 times)

Victor

• Revolutionary
  • “The more you know, the sadder you get.”
The stupid captcha. Also, help forums?
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:24 pm »
Hey -- newb here, but I just got two suggestions.

First of all -- can we please get rid of the captcha verification before posting? We have the ability to regulate and eliminate spammers, and theres already a captcha barrier to registering. Maybe I'm losing it but geez if some of these captchas are tough to get. It's just frustrating to have to constantly retry. -- anyway, if its a forum feature that can't be changed, cool. but otherwise, i think we could reconsider their effectiveness.

Secondly -- help forums. I know theres a series of tutorials and guides, but this forum can be a bit hard to navigate. And forum search tools are never helpful. Maybe we could make a help forum for newbies (gotta look after myself) can go to ask experienced members where we can find previous posts on issues and discussions that've already happened. Link it and once answered close down the topic.

Just some thoughts! Hope they're useful.

“There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good.”

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
Re: The stupid captcha. Also, help forums?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:48 pm »
Not entirely sure how the forum is set up these days but I would imagine the captcha only applies for a certain (relatively small) number of posts.  Bots are a pain and I'm sure it helps with that.

Lady Rainicorn

• Sexiest Voice in the eUK
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:08 pm »
The Captcha as far as im aware is there to take out spam bots

Any advice you need feel free to PM any of the mod team
Founder of eUK Domestic eCricket League
Special Forces
FM #39
MBE
Ex-Speaker of the HoC

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:08:57 pm »
I believe it's only the first five posts.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Victor

• Revolutionary
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:01 pm »
I believe it's only the first five posts.

Oh  :$ consider this resolved

“There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good.”

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »
You'd understand if you had seen the amount of kitchens people had tried to sell us.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Victor

• Revolutionary
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 11:16:51 pm »
You'd understand if you had seen the amount of kitchens people had tried to sell us.

geezus, whole kitchens?

i have no need for those...

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »
We had a massive influx of spammers so I upgraded our security quite considerably. It's a little more difficult to automate the accounts and first few postings now, so it's quite good.

The forums are a bit of a mess, to be honest, and certainly confusing. 30th of May is my last exam date, so I'd hope that over the course of June we can do a bit of a spring clean and I'll produce some sort of tutorial for understanding the forums. There's a bunch of great features that don't really get used and wherever there are problems I can generally install a mod to fix it
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:15 am »
Would be nice to have a bit of a spring clean, and I guess we are so used to these forums we haven't really thought about how they might look to a new arrival.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Lady Rainicorn

• Sexiest Voice in the eUK
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:30 am »
We had a massive influx of spammers so I upgraded our security quite considerably. It's a little more difficult to automate the accounts and first few postings now, so it's quite good.

The forums are a bit of a mess, to be honest, and certainly confusing. 30th of May is my last exam date, so I'd hope that over the course of June we can do a bit of a spring clean and I'll produce some sort of tutorial for understanding the forums. There's a bunch of great features that don't really get used and wherever there are problems I can generally install a mod to fix it
I'll get my maids outfit on :P
Founder of eUK Domestic eCricket League
Special Forces
FM #39
MBE
Ex-Speaker of the HoC

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 12:48:34 am »

I'll get my maids outfit on :P
In other news the spring clean has been brought forward to tomorrow and will be taking place in my bedroom. £5 entry (which is half of what Rob usually charges)

harijs.me

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:57:48 pm »
Captcha in this forum is crazy hard to read. Should use some captcha that humans can read.

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 02:51:14 pm »
I can have a look at if there's a way to replace it with recaptcha or a solve media. It will be a few days though, I want congress to vote on whether or not I can release the old forum threads before I put my new structure in place and then I can make any changes like that as well

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: