Author Topic: Audio Raspberry Pi  (Read 2527 times)

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
  • Everything is a statistic.
Audio Raspberry Pi
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
I'm building something with the pi.

I've tried usb speakers, and the ones I have sound like a hornets nest when no sound is playing. (Looking for new ones)

I wondered how many cheap options for audio on an RPi there is.

I know of audio amplifier boards, but they're way too expensive.

Just thought it might be worth a discussion.

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
Re: Audio Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:32 am »
I'll look into this properly later but if I remember rightly there is a fairly cheap board you can get that works as a good RPi sound card.

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »
I'll look into this properly later but if I remember rightly there is a fairly cheap board you can get that works as a good RPi sound card.

I have a cheap usb sound card, but it doesn't seem to work with the OS I am using very well. But I've tried headphones and they're working excellently off of the 3.5mm jack socket fine, so looking into cheap speakers that purely use the 3.5 for power.

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:07:15 pm »
You would be better to get a USB to power adapter. Like phone chargers use. Then you can use the speakers using a wall socket?

Quick Google search for "non-usb speakers" throws up loads that are run on mains power, but I am sure the above method would work too. Should also be able to get one for like £5-£10 absolute maximum since it's available with phone chargers.

Here are some non-usb speakers though:

http://www.johnlewis.com/logitech-z130-speakers/p485103?kpid=232133280&s_kenid=2efbb140-f4e4-2c08-7bdf-0000775ddee0&s_kwcid=402x40249&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=232133280
http://exceptional-av.co.uk/bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-speaker-system.html?gclid=CIPl0IWSwMECFQ3LtAod3DAAWg
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:22:10 pm by Darkmantle »

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:37:09 pm »
You would be better to get a USB to power adapter. Like phone chargers use. Then you can use the speakers using a wall socket?

Quick Google search for "non-usb speakers" throws up loads that are run on mains power, but I am sure the above method would work too. Should also be able to get one for like £5-£10 absolute maximum since it's available with phone chargers.

Here are some non-usb speakers though:

http://www.johnlewis.com/logitech-z130-speakers/p485103?kpid=232133280&s_kenid=2efbb140-f4e4-2c08-7bdf-0000775ddee0&s_kwcid=402x40249&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=232133280
http://exceptional-av.co.uk/bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-speaker-system.html?gclid=CIPl0IWSwMECFQ3LtAod3DAAWg

I have been using usb powered ones, I have only 4 usb sockets for the project I am using it on.

I have expensive usb speakers which seem a tad too sensitive to interference. Therefore, looking for either cheaper ones or 3.5mm jack powered ones.

This is being powered by a usb hub, and will be built into a device.

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »
Finding speakers powered just off 3.5mm will be extremely difficult if not downright impossible, especially for a cheap price. The speakers need a decent source of power, so your options are either USB or Mains.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:56 pm »
Finding speakers powered just off 3.5mm will be extremely difficult if not downright impossible, especially for a cheap price. The speakers need a decent source of power, so your options are either USB or Mains.

You can get little battery powered ones, don't know what the life is like on those tho.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:05 pm »

You can get little battery powered ones, don't know what the life is like on those tho.

Not that great to be honest, the power consumption affects the quality so for a decent set of speakers the batteries wouldn't last long at all.

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

Not that great to be honest, the power consumption affects the quality so for a decent set of speakers the batteries wouldn't last long at all.

I want ones that either have a built in battery, usb charging or usb powered, or 3.5mm jack powered. And its not impossible, just not loud volume.

I don't need anything booming lol

I am considering doing some diy with a pair of headphones I have spare, that have a snapped bracket so they can't fit on my head now anyway.

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:41:00 pm »
If you can go with USB powered then great.. otherwise if you only want a small amount of sound then there are chargeable ones (via USB cable) such as the X-Mini

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: