Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 1372 times)

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
Elite: Dangerous
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:38 pm »
I bought this on kickstarter like a year ago, been playing for a few months now. it's fairly void of content but is visually amazing.

It's just been released on steam, is anyone planning on getting it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
  • Everything is a statistic.
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:09 pm »
Whats the aim of the game?

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:56 pm »
You have a bunch of factions, and then the main groups of Alliance/Federation/Independent.
Currently you just fly about, shooting people for bounties, trading and mining.

There are some pretty crazy battles that happen now and then, all caused by players supporting specific system factions.

This is a video of one of the capital ships jumping in, when a high intensity battle starts.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:45:11 pm »
Looks quite visually impressive.

Are the capital ships player controlled?

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:49:16 pm »
Nope, but hopefully one day they will add it. Would be crazy.

The one thing that really is impressive is the sound, it's extremely immersive.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »
Nope, but hopefully one day they will add it. Would be crazy.

The one thing that really is impressive is the sound, it's extremely immersive.

Definitely gunna keep an eye on it and see how it develops. The possible scale and complexity of battles looks bloody amazing.

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:43:43 am »
If it wasn't £40 I'd actually probably be right in there for it now... but it's just too much for me to spring as it is.

Steam says it's "Partial controller support"... does that mean it works with Xbox controllers or not? Because I can't physically map 3-d controls to keyboards without giving myself a migraine (dyspraxia) so that would be an immediate deal breaker which is unfortunate. Seems like it has the potential to turn into a decent modern version of the space battles in Battlefront with a few more additions

I'd actually prefer Capital ships to remain outside of human control in that you can't buy them or pilot them directly, but a cross between the Battlefront and Battlefield 2142 (Titan Mode) styles, where the ships can be boarded to inflict damage by marine units, enough systems get destroyed and it goes down, players can utilise turrets/cannons on the capital ship and a commander can order the ship to manoeuvre throughout the battlefield.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:45:35 am by Butjam »
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 09:54:48 am »
If it wasn't £40 I'd actually probably be right in there for it now... but it's just too much for me to spring as it is.

Steam says it's "Partial controller support"... does that mean it works with Xbox controllers or not? Because I can't physically map 3-d controls to keyboards without giving myself a migraine (dyspraxia) so that would be an immediate deal breaker which is unfortunate. Seems like it has the potential to turn into a decent modern version of the space battles in Battlefront with a few more additions

I'd actually prefer Capital ships to remain outside of human control in that you can't buy them or pilot them directly, but a cross between the Battlefront and Battlefield 2142 (Titan Mode) styles, where the ships can be boarded to inflict damage by marine units, enough systems get destroyed and it goes down, players can utilise turrets/cannons on the capital ship and a commander can order the ship to manoeuvre throughout the battlefield.

You basically need a HOTAS set up to stand a chance, fighting against real players takes some skill and there are a large percentage of players with crazy controller set ups. Having a keyboard won't cut it.

I can't really see them adding play controlled capital ships for a very long time, the best player controlled ship is already extremely expensive and no one could afford something like 100 times the size.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

Lionbeard

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 09:55:40 am »
The sound of the Capital Ship jumping in...

"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!" Barbie

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:15:38 pm »

Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

BaskB

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:14 pm »

When I saw the same thing on Steam was also the minute I said no. £40 is just too steep really.
Regiment 5 - Legion

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 09:34:04 pm »

When I saw the same thing on Steam was also the minute I said no. £40 is just too steep really.

Unless this is really your type of game, it's not worth £40

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

Leo Balzac

• Hot as Fudge
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 02:25:47 pm »
I own and play this quite regularly, bought it in early Beta.

Butjam- a controller is compatible, the 'partial controller support' mainly refers to the in-game profiles for various devices so depending on what you have, you might need to do some button re-assignment yourself. A HOTAS is by no means needed, but definitely helps in combat and makes piloting a bit more intuitive.

It is a great game if you're into the complete open world type game. This game will not feed you ANY missions, will not tell you where you need to go and what you need to do. Its story is more of a backdrop and not a central feature. If that doesn't sound good to you, then don't buy this game as you will not enjoy it.

That being said, the dev is quite good at adding in patches and enhancements to the gameplay (can't wait for mining drones so I can avoid that damned grind) with paid expansions featuring planetary landings and other such goodies on the horizon.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 04:04:59 pm »
I didn't think anyone else played, what ship are you flying?

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

Leo Balzac

• Hot as Fudge
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »
I didn't think anyone else played, what ship are you flying?

Right now a Sidewinder doing smuggling runs but I also have an Asp for when I want to get some exploration money.

I've owned pretty much every ship (except for fer de lance, anaconda and the Imp clipper) but get bored and sell them to buy different ships.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 04:46:23 pm »
Hit me up if you need a wingman at any point, I'm just trading atm.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

Leo Balzac

• Hot as Fudge
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 04:52:35 pm »
Sounds good though I doubt we're online at the same time much.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: