Author Topic: Last book you read.  (Read 35373 times)

johnobrow

Re: Last book you read.
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 04:29:40 pm »
Quote from: "MortenLond"
Last book: Red Storm Rising.

Very interesting book, good description of battles and such. Should definately be made into a full motion picture  ;)

Currently: The God Delusion (although I have already read it several times, I just love the argumentation and the way it is written. Can only hope to remember all the arguments, so that I might remember it to when debating with hardcore christians.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone said a Tom Clancy, I even said so earlier in this thread. You're right though Red Storm Rising is good, you know if you're into that kind of thing.
EREP IS DEAD LABOUR AND DEAD TIME - LIFE IS ELSEWHERE
-------->DESTROY THAT WHICH DESTROYS YOU<--------

greggcarson

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 01:20:35 am »
Innocent Mage by Karen Miller, pretty good book, not quite finished but I would still recommend it. After this I plan to read the follow up book Awakened Mage.

james p

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear.

Actually a really good book but its thick enough to kill a man. 650~ pages  :o
James

Quote from: "Goku_Jones"
Quote from: "IndieKid"
but meat eaters eat veg too
But we don't give a shit.

Private in RN
Fought in:
Kansas,Oklahoma

greggcarson

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 03:05:17 pm »
Quote from: "james p"
Actually a really good book but its thick enough to kill a man. 650~ pages  :o
650 pages isn't that huge a book, most decent fantacy runs about that long. Its a long enough read but a good book can be read in about a week.

james p

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 06:07:26 pm »
I didn't mean it was a bit of slog because it was so long, it just so big and I usually read whilst travelling. Still worth the effort. :D
James

Private in RN
Fought in:
Kansas,Oklahoma

greggcarson

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 06:18:12 pm »
I see, is it a smaller print paperback or one of those much larger books, I never seen the point of those much larger ones, I have a few of them and they are just alot more awkward to carry around and read during travel, I get they look nice than the smaller copy but there just not as practical, its not like the font is even that much larger.

james p

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:22 pm »
Abouy 3x the size of 'normal' paperback.
James

Private in RN
Fought in:
Kansas,Oklahoma

Streen Mas

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »
The last book I read was "The Night Sessions" by Ken Macleod. Very interesting book, good for a short read with some rather interesting, albeit simplistic, commentaries on religion and religious dogma.

Prior to this I read "The Gap Series" (Series of 5 books) by Stephen Donaldson, by far the best thing I have read to date. I loved it so much that I dragged it out as long as I could, reading a few chapters and then leaving it a day or 2 and getting back to it. All in all I spread all 5 book over the course of just under 3 years, and I'm very glad I did.

Currently reading "Hidden Empire" by Kevin Anderson.

johnobrow

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:33 am »
So I finished Ronald Segal's biography of Trotsky. Very good. Got better with every page. I read the info about the author as well and it turns out he's a bit of a legend in his own right. Civil rights and anti-racism activist in South Africa. May have to read his autobiography eh.

Moved on to Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Btw contrary to popular belief Trotsky's last words weren't "go forward", they were in fact "I want you to undress me".

concon562

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:29 am »
Just got myself a little E-Reader,

Comes with 100 Classics, so made a start on

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy/Tolstei
This signature is blank..

Do not write on this signature..

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2009, 12:21:48 am »
Quote from: "Streen Mas"
Prior to this I read "The Gap Series" (Series of 5 books) by Stephen Donaldson, by far the best thing I have read to date. I loved it so much that I dragged it out as long as I could, reading a few chapters and then leaving it a day or 2 and getting back to it. All in all I spread all 5 book over the course of just under 3 years, and I'm very glad I did.

Good series, my only complaint being that much of the storyline is paced out between long internal dialogues of self-pity and bile. That is a trait for Donaldson in general though, it's crushingly depressing reading Thomas Covenant moan to himself constantly in his other, more famous, series.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

greggcarson

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2009, 12:41:35 am »
Quote from: "Streen Mas"
That is the next thing that I will be moving on to reading, I haven't read sci-fi in a long time (I usually ready fantasy) but the gap series seems like a good place to start back into it.

As for reading I don't purposely try and drag out a book but I usually end up reading sporadically, for instance I will read a few hundred pages in a day then I will go a few days without so much as looking at the book and then I'll read another hundred or so.

johnobrow

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2009, 01:20:50 am »
Quote from: "concon562"
Just got myself a little E-Reader,

Comes with 100 Classics, so made a start on

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy/Tolstei

Good luck with that eh.

greggcarson

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »
Is war and peace worth reading? I have heard its good but someone told me its mainly about Russian history and I'm not into period dramas or historic novels. I have heard the main draw of it is the interesting use of languages and structure but alot of that is lost depending on the translator.

Lee Richards

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 06:10:21 pm »
This is pretty shameful but if you don't count Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and two plays, Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls which i had to read for English at school (not saying they weren't good, only that it wasn't my choice that I read them) The last books I read were One Rainy Night-Richard Laymon, Hunt for the Red October and Rainbow 6-Tom Clancy and Edge of Battle-Dale Brown. All were read within a two week period about this time two years ago whilst i was on holiday in Spain.

EDIT:Oh and there were some books that i read part of at school for English but were never finished
Quote from: "GloriousFailure"
Quote from: "Meghan"
Lick my clit
I'm sorry, I've already eaten fish recently.
Quote from: "Joachim von Bremen"
Quote from: "Meghan"
not enough space and you had no prior experience i and couldn't trust that you could stay
Sounds like the response you must get from all the men you date

hazz

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:22 pm »
Thought I'd give an update to the many people who eagerly follow my literary endeavours :P

Last: Silks - Dick Francis (and Felix Francis) --- It's ok, not as good as his other novels though. I think his son probably ruined it or something.
Current: Bad Science - Ben Goldacre --- I seem to be a bit behind the populace on this one, but for anyone who hasn't already read it: I strongly suggest you do. It may save you a lot of money, and if not it will certainly banish your ignorance of the truth about health foods and alternative medicine, which almost everyone is fooled by. (well not alternative medicine, but definitely health foods I think). I've read a few chapters so far, and already I have gained enough knowledge to completely debunk any argument made by homeopaths about the usefulness of their medicine.

<Woldy> ohlol
<Woldy> I thought someone was blowing a vuvuzela
<Woldy> and I shouted shut up over the fence
<Woldy> and later found out it was someone trying to play a trombone

johnobrow

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:36 am »
Quote from: "hazz"
Thought I'd give an update to the many people who eagerly follow my literary endeavours :P

I know I do.

hazz

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 08:32:08 am »
Quote from: "johnobrow"
Quote from: "hazz"

I know I do.
lulz
<Woldy> ohlol
<Woldy> I thought someone was blowing a vuvuzela
<Woldy> and I shouted shut up over the fence
<Woldy> and later found out it was someone trying to play a trombone

johnobrow

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 06:42:40 pm »
Anybody else ever do two at a time? I've been reading Alexander Berkman's ABC of Anarchism a bit as well. It's friggin' awesome. Anybody with an interest in politics, modern history or sociology has to read it. You just have to. Same goes for Marx's Communist Manifest btw.

KatsuAkiko

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 06:51:37 pm »
The last book I was read was about a pop out dog.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: