Author Topic: DDNS/DNS Zone Files, CNAME, etc.  (Read 6387 times)

Darkmantle

• Bot Guy
Re: DDNS/DNS Zone Files, CNAME, etc.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 08:35:56 pm »

I'm out of ideas then. The only easy way is changing nas port to 80 so cname works. Unless you have root ssh access to the domain server.
I might end up changing the port number. The only concern is - using the common port would make my system more discoverable/vulnerable, right? No one knows to look on port 5000.

Yeah but for cname it has to be 80.

Root SSH would make life easier as you can edit the vhosts directly but otherwise thats all I can think of, the access given by hosts is quite limited.

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
I'm out of ideas then. The only easy way is changing nas port to 80 so cname works. Unless you have root ssh access to the domain server.
I might end up changing the port number. The only concern is - using the common port would make my system more discoverable/vulnerable, right? No one knows to look on port 5000.

5000 is used by other stuff including Windows uPnp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

You're probably best sticking to port 80 and using one of the more secure LINUX distros like CENTOS and firewalling it away from any other machine you have on your network

Emergy Maxfell

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 08:54:13 pm »

5000 is used by other stuff including Windows uPnp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

You're probably best sticking to port 80 and using one of the more secure LINUX distros like CENTOS and firewalling it away from any other machine you have on your network

Okay.

Thanks all! I'll look into switching the ports since I don't intend to run a HTTP server.
Emergy Maxfell, OBE MC KCVS
Fmr. DPM, MoF, MP, GOC RAC, Commodore & Quartermaster

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 12:27:44 am »
... I tried to read this thread and it hurt.
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

jimbojoy

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:55 am »
... I tried to read this thread and it hurt.

Tialys

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: