Author Topic: Steam - One step too far?  (Read 1420 times)

BaskB

Steam - One step too far?
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:28:04 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/

I mean really, Paid for Mods???

Don't get me wrong some mods deserve payment, but at least make it just voluntary. Most modders do it because a they enjoy it and b want to see thier fave game progress!

Can't help feel this is just going to lead to a lot of rip offs occuring...
Regiment 5 - Legion

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
  • Everything is a statistic.
Re: Steam - One step too far?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »
This has obviously been demanded by publishers of games. They get a slice of the cash as they do with steam cards.

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:15:37 pm »
i dont see a problem with any of it per se, paying modders who work hard is awesome.

not to mention the 24 hour refund, in which time you can complete any mod and decide whether its worth paying for.

although

Steam Workshop Refund Policy

Valve offers this refund policy exclusively for initial purchases of user-generated content made directly via its Steam Workshop page. In particular, this refund policy does not apply to purchases of tradable Workshop Items on the Steam Community Market, to transfers of items between users via the trading system or to in-game purchases of Workshop items.

In order to request a refund, click the "Get Refund" option on the item's Workshop page, which is accessible from your Steam inventory page (in the Steam Client, select View->Inventory from the top menu). Refund requests must be made within 24 hours from the purchase of a Workshop item. The remaining time for an individual item is displayed on the item's Workshop page.

Once your refund request has been submitted, you will lose access to the content for that Steam Workshop item and any other Steam Workshop items associated with the refunded transaction.

Refunds will be credited exclusively back to the Steam Wallet from which the original purchase was funded. For reasons of fraud prevention, your Steam Wallet will be credited for the transaction within two to three days from the time you submitted your refund request.

Valve may restrict an individual user's eligibility for future refunds if there are indications of an abuse of the refund system. In this case, the restriction will be clearly communicated to the user and only apply to later purchases.

The terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement (http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/) apply.

so its not a built in donate system which i would prefer tbh
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

LongShotzZ

• Lord Of Everything
  • Party - UKRP
  • I'm not a racist.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
From what I've heard, it's a split in the money of 25/75 with only 25% going to the developers. They need to change that or I am not paying for shit.
Zaphod: "LongShotzZ is slightly better than mediocre."
Sir Rex: "You know you're in deep shit when you have to ask LongShotzZ to bail you out!"
Mwcerberus: "If I had to pick between fighting 50 duck-sized LongShotzZ's or 1 horse-sized LongShotzZ I think I'd have to get my gun and kill all 51."

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:34:58 pm »
I quite like this idea tbh, hopefully it improves quality.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:50:12 pm »

history shows otherwise, steam allowing essentially any dev to sell games has seen the average quality plumet to the depths of hell

Viridi

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09:16 pm »
I think a lot of people seem to disapprove.
ive done some things

BaskB

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:43:22 am »

Interesting, I've generally found Mods in the most part to be of a decent quality, end of the day they are usually written by fellow gamers for there own love of games. If anything I see it causing people to rip of others Mods and try and charge for them. I mean take a look at the "Mod" pack they've already got up for Skyrim £18.76 for a 17 mods of which some are just weapons..... I mean christ the you can get the Game + DLC for less than that......

i dont see a problem with any of it per se, paying modders who work hard is awesome.

not to mention the 24 hour refund, in which time you can complete any mod and decide whether its worth paying for.

although

so its not a built in donate system which i would prefer tbh

As mentioned I agree some do deserve payment (BUT as you say via donations not forced) due to the awesomeness they provide, but the 24hr's concerns me. Do you play 24hrs straight at a time? ie your basically getting a few hours to test a Mod to its FULL extent, for some thats easy (extra weapon etc) but what about the larger ones such as Viking Conquest for Mount & Blade (Which would have been released this way if avaliable) and was a buggy disaster!

And as you put it Greenlight for all the good that should have come from it has just seen quality take a nose dive! One in probably 100 games out of it are any use now.

Heres something I stole from another forum:-

-Pay for mod
-start game up, mod works fine
-week later
-update released for mod
-Breaks compatibility due to other mods installed
-can't get a refund due to the 24 hour limit
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:50:24 am by BaskB »
Regiment 5 - Legion

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:58:10 am »
It's sort of similar to the Dota 2 'sets' a lot of which are created by the community. A good way for modders to earn money because if chosen, a lot of people would actually go out of their way to buy it, while Valve take a cut of the profits, the creator of such content could get a significant amount of money out of it.

It's worth noting that several of the mods you could've had for free are now gone. Luckily, most Steam games can be modded using files outside the workshop, which is a bit of a loophole. E.g. EU4/CK2 is directly moddable by inserting a valid .mod file into the mod folder alongside the content that goes alongside it. I have Historical Immersion Project for CK2 from both the workshop and the Paradox forums.

I don't think it's coincident that this was introduced merely a week or so after GTA V was released for PC. The GTA mod community is vast.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:50:35 am »
From reading more about this, my view has totally changed.

Unless steam do something about copies of free mods being sold by someone else and also a way to test a mod before buying it.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »
iv allways used http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/? for modding

found it much better than workshop anyway

Sir Jimmy

• MU - The Legion
  • I'm Just Causally Taking A Sh*t In Your Toilet
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 12:21:46 am »
This sucks, it reminds me of erepublik. The idea is good but the execution is a catastrophic failure.

Like the dictatorship update was a good idea, it was a new way to play that could have gone well with the democracy. But then they designed it in a way that just got abused and ruined the fun.

Also I've been told that nexusmods have sex mods for skyrim. Time to go searching ;)

_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png
The Legion 3rd Division (Carlini's Avengers)
Captain Spygon

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 12:41:34 am »
This sucks, it reminds me of erepublik. The idea is good but the execution is a catastrophic failure.

Like the dictatorship update was a good idea, it was a new way to play that could have gone well with the democracy. But then they designed it in a way that just got abused and ruined the fun.

Also I've been told that nexusmods have sex mods for skyrim. Time to go searching ;)

they suck tho, complex and a hassle to install multiple mods for it and poor result due to multiple factors.

sex mods are far better for games like doa since they are cutscene based and controlled

Sir Jimmy

• MU - The Legion
  • I'm Just Causally Taking A Sh*t In Your Toilet
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 12:42:47 am »
Lol, I'll take you're word for it XD

_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png
The Legion 3rd Division (Carlini's Avengers)
Captain Spygon

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 12:45:06 am »
vast personal experience  :ugeek:

kdoggroundtwo

• >_>
  • Global Moderator
  • >_>
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:30:01 am »
This seems horrible to me but as a console gamer my view on mods may be a bit diffrent from others.

But most mods I know of are random ones that benefit the game. Some times they are mods that fix something horribly broken about the games, others it fixes the flaws created by it being a quickly done half ass port to PC, some are graphical updates for old games that have been long since abandoned and finally some add new modes or fully new ways of playing the games.

And these are fan made mods for the games. Not patches by the actual creaters to fix thier games, Fan mods.

And now said creaters are gonna get paid for fans fixing thier games? Not only is that unfair it's gonna lead to less things getting fixed. Why spend money haveing a team fix the game when a fan will probly do it and you get paid for it?

Adding to this you have the early access problem. The stuff will be 99% crap, using stolen work/assets to make it look like it's not crap but it is. And sure refund policy but with the sheer volume of crap anyone who uses mods often will quickly be seen as abusing the system.

But yeah good modders should earn some money. That's why they have donation links. Now that's been taken away so companys can get money for the fans work. >_>

(I might have missed some info as I haven't read the details, just the info I have seen)

Wayne

• Pretty much the most badass eUKer...
  • Archivists
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 12:48:05 am »
scammers

kdoggroundtwo

• >_>
  • Global Moderator
  • >_>
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:23 am »
Seems Valve have announced paid have been cancled and anyone who paid for one got a refund.

Only lasted about a week but cost Valve a large chunk of change.

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 04:30:40 am »
I can see a system working in future (modders setting donations up or charging) but it definitely needs to be laid out from the start with a portion going to Valve, a portion to the base game and a portion to the modders. Feel like it's the fairest way to do it
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

BaskB

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:14:33 am »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

The "official" removal ;)

Nice to see the community "win" for once. The idea sure has merit but Valve introduced it in an Idiotic overhanded way, Donation button FTW and come on sort out those damn %'s.... 25% for the modder and 75% for Valve/Bethesda??? Hows that supporting the modders work? And a lot of mods we see are to fix bugs etc that should have been done by the developer themselves in the first place.

I dont think we've seen the last of this one and I'm for one dissapointed there going down this way.
Regiment 5 - Legion

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: