Author Topic: Inquiries  (Read 1391 times)

Carlos

Inquiries
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:14 pm »
Having lived in the UK for 15 years i feel that something is missing from the present line up within the justice system. An Inquiry board! surely some times you wish you have it. Can also be part of the cabinet office. Forgive if this already exists.

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
Re: Inquiries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »
Sorry but we really don't want or need anything else to widen the rift between this forum and the game. The current courts are a joke and adding to them makes the system even more removed from the game.

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »
Quote from: "Sexagenarian"
The current courts are a joke
That is 100% precisely the point of them...
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:51:20 pm »
If all the game was was www.erepublik.com then the only people who actually played it would be idiots who enjoyed clicking.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:02:14 pm »
Quote from: "5butjam"
Quote from: "Sexagenarian"
The current courts are a joke

That is 100% precisely the point of them...

Which was my objection to the whole system in the first place. I knew if they existed, even as a joke, people would start to take them seriously. This suggestion just proves my point.

Viewed from outside the forum, it's just another way of distancing the forum from the game.

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »
That's like saying a chess club distances the club from chess. Just because a club has a social sec to (for example) organise nights out doesn't mean the point of the club isn't still chess. Or if you have a club for any interest for that matter- from warhammer to engineering, the focus is the thing which brings it together, but it's not what keeps a group together. The forum is there for us to be social, have fun, pursue other interests, make friends and so on. eRepublik is what brought us together but it's not what keeps us playing.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Carlos

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:58:09 am »
I understand the feedback, it is pointless to have a system that the game mechanics make unenforceable, however inquiries are not courts in that courts make ruling, inquiries make recommendations. Furthermore, it is a ability to have when it comes to having an avenue whereby government policy can be more closely examined and recommendations for change can be made. All in all it is a good way to have a fair an unbiased view with regards to mistakes made that goes beyond party lines. Also, it can operate within the present gaming environmment

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:48 am »
I've always been supportive of this sort of thing because essentially what it is is positive criticism, which takes the burden of policy making off a few individuals. Provided there is a requirement that all criticism has a fully thought out alternative (like a genuine inquiry) i am supportive.

Carlos

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:16 pm »
Quote from: "Iain Keers"
I've always been supportive of this sort of thing because essentially what it is is positive criticism, which takes the burden of policy making off a few individuals. Provided there is a requirement that all criticism has a fully thought out alternative (like a genuine inquiry) i am supportive.

I think that it could work really well and actually help with the legislative process.

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »
Quote from: "Carlos"
an avenue whereby government policy can be more closely examined and recommendations for change can be made

Don't we already have this in the "Public Discussion" forum?

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »
In theory though it usually ends up as non-constructive trolling. A more heavily moderated subforum whereby you could do it properly would make sense. Basically a way to make it work would be-

1. Appoint a chairman of the inquiry
2. Chairman seeks statements from involved parties (ministers, government members- even members of the public who use the service)
3. Inquiry opens to public commentary
4. Commentary is summarised into a series of action points and presented back to the government
5. Government introduces changes

With a structured system it's much easier than the wading trollfest we have now.

Carlos

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »
Quote from: "Iain Keers"
In theory though it usually ends up as non-constructive trolling. A more heavily moderated subforum whereby you could do it properly would make sense. Basically a way to make it work would be-

1. Appoint a chairman of the inquiry
2. Chairman seeks statements from involved parties (ministers, government members- even members of the public who use the service)
3. Inquiry opens to public commentary
4. Commentary is summarised into a series of action points and presented back to the government
5. Government introduces changes

With a structured system it's much easier than the wading trollfest we have now.

I think that would work well.

Carlos

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12:25 am »
Can we give this a go?

Alice

• Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Boblo Island
  • Rabbit hole explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:22:35 am »
Looks like a good scheme for a government to implement, then the forum admin can make room for it on the forum.

Might be worth poking prospective CP's to see if they'll make it a manifesto point, since its coming to the end of this term.
Everything you say is boring and incomprehensible, but that alone doesn't make it true.
Quote from: Professor Bob Boblo
He had spent his whole life despised and hated for the mere triviality of wearing dresses and make-up despite possessing a (rather magnificent) penis, and this persecution had fostered within him both a desperate yearning to be loved and appreciated, and an iconoclastic desire to subvert and destroy the odious traditions on which society was built.

Carlos

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:39:21 pm »
Quote from: "Invalidation"
Looks like a good scheme for a government to implement, then the forum admin can make room for it on the forum.

Might be worth poking prospective CP's to see if they'll make it a manifesto point, since its coming to the end of this term.

Ah thanks for the advice! i have noticed though there is only 1 official candidate so far (talon kard) any advice on who else might be running?