: City fans return tickets in protest  ( 925 )

Sir Botham

• : 3519
City fans return tickets in protest
« : January 10, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
The game was classed as a 'Category A' game by Arsenal, meaning tickets were priced at £62, a price that many City fans decided was a step too far and refused to pay.
Rumours circulated on Tuesday of around 2,000 tickets being returned as part of the protest, but according to The Daily Telegraph the acutal figure was 912.
Protests against ticket prices have increased in recent times as the amount of money asked for by clubs goes up and up. A ticket for the same game in 2009 cost £32.50, when City were of course not yet Premier League champions and thus theoretically less of a 'draw'.
Kevin Parker, the general secretary of the Manchester City Supporters Club, told The Guardian: "It's the most expensive amount I can ever remember paying for a ticket in my life, for a Sunday afternoon game which is live on satellite television.
"And it's not as if finding a television to watch the game on is difficult nowadays. Even if the game wasn't live, to charge £62 to watch it is ridiculous, but to charge that amount when people can see it live on TV is crazy.
"It just shows that football clubs are out of touch with reality. If City supporters are travelling on a supporters' club coach it will cost £30 per person. That's £92 before they have even done anything; add in a programme, food, drink and you are looking at £125-£130 per person.
"There are a combination of things at play here. Some people cannot afford the price, especially as it is just after Christmas, and there are some who just refuse to pay £62. This is also the first time in a long while that I remember City fans saying to me they could pay the money but are refusing to do so. That is a brave decision to take. Soon, though, fans will vote more strongly with their feet and clubs like Arsenal will have to decide what to do about ticket prices."
City themselves are not immune to high prices - the top price for Arsenal fans in the corresponding fixture earlier this season was £51, while the top price for tickets at the Etihad this season has been £58.
Arsenal fans have been vocal in their own protests against high ticket prices, with their own season tickets sold at a top rate of £1,955 - the most in the Premier League.
Despite the action, it may not hit Arsenal in the pocket, as City fans hoped - the returned tickets will be put on sale to home fans, and it is expected that they will all be sold for the game on Sunday.

[size=150]☭[/size][/color]

Lionbeard

• : 15180
Re: City fans return tickets in protest
« #1 : January 10, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
If people buy them, they're not going to decrease the price, are they?

If it gets sold out regardless of the tickets being sent back, I don't think Arsenal are going to care that much. :P
"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!" Barbie

N W G

• President
  • : 650
« #2 : January 10, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
less away fans would also mean less costs in stewards and policing.

So maybe they would actually make more money this way
Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:30:39 pm
: "Minecrafting Instead"

Goku posting on these forums again is not on the table (nor will it ever be)

Anaxima

• : 2174
« #3 : January 11, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
what kind of retards pay that much for a silly football game?
Nothing matters. We're all dust.
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")

« #4 : January 11, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
I have every sympathy with Citeh, afterall they reward away fans and visiting players with free money via the form of pound coins.

Small club who can rarely fill their own ground anyway  :lol:

Sir Botham

• : 3519
« #5 : January 11, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
Even though I'm an Arsenal fan I can't for the life me understand how Arsenal can actually charge these prices. I have also found out that they are also the most expensive when it comes to season tickets.

I plan to visit London soon in order to actually watch an Arsenal match so, the 62gbp wouldn't be much for me as a once-off but to pay these prices a few times a month is crazy.

Arsenal fans should complain for one simple reason - it's be 6/7 years without us winning anything so, on what basis can they even try to charge these prices?

[size=150]☭[/size][/color]

Lady Rainicorn

• Sexiest Voice in the eUK
  • : 2689
« #6 : January 11, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
The joy of lower league football
I think £22 is the most ive ever paid for a ticket
Founder of eUK Domestic eCricket League
Special Forces
FM #39
MBE
Ex-Speaker of the HoC

Smack

• RP
  • : 4988
« #7 : January 11, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »
They do complain. They just get nowhere.

[23] <@Artela> "Smack, aspiring to climb up to gutter level since 2009, and failing due to the lack of a ladder long enough"

Anaxima

• : 2174
« #8 : January 11, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
: "Robalbinio"
The joy of lower league football
I think £22 is the most ive ever paid for a ticket
I go to football games every now and again. Rarely pay more than 10£, still have a p good time.

DEATH TO ALL TOP TIER FOOTBALL CLUBS!
Nothing matters. We're all dust.
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")

Barlow

• : 2911
« #9 : January 11, 2013, 11:50:45 PM »
flower off harvey price
Ideas for a new signature children?

: :