: Automated Households of the future.  ( 1637 )

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
  • : 2440
  • Everything is a statistic.
Automated Households of the future.
« : October 05, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
What do you think about the possible integration of pure automation into all our homes in the future?

By this, I mean a single control pad controlling everything, heating, water, showers, kitchen ovens, lights, TV, computer, and so on.

Are you keen or horrified at the thought of pure automation?

I'm personal for semi automation, would be nice for lights etc, but oven, shopping list, shower, bath and doors etc seems a bit lazy, and I don't wanna get fat and ruin my lovely figure ;)

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
  • : 12057
Re: Automated Households of the future.
« #1 : October 05, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
I think it's cool, but I don't think full integration with the net is a good idea for some things. Battlestar Galactica taught me that. Plus of course it makes it easy for someone outside to monitor your movements. If I was middle aged, with a house and kids and a dog, I'd certainly look into getting a smart thermostat for example. Right now double glazing is a plus.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #2 : October 05, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
I think it's cool, but I don't think full integration with the net is a good idea for some things. Battlestar Galactica taught me that. Plus of course it makes it easy for someone outside to monitor your movements. If I was middle aged, with a house and kids and a dog, I'd certainly look into getting a smart thermostat for example. Right now double glazing is a plus.

So you'd be against motion sensors and cameras to track movement. I can agree on that.

The idea of smart heating does seem quite good, the ability to keep the house permanently at a set heat and/or at the heat you need/want.

They've actually been developing light colour changes and music to suit your moods too for all the rooms you enter. I see the problem of 3 people in the room with different moods, what would it do then lol.

I might try and find some nice examples and add them to the OP, or if people find anyway etc.

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
  • : 6376
« #3 : October 05, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
I wouldn't want a single control for everything.  When it breaks you'd be screwed.

I'm all for technology but there comes a point when it is introduced seemingly just for the sake of it.  I have no objection to manually locking my doors or turning my oven on for instance.  I'm still getting over them introducing electronic boards for football substitutions.  The old cards never needed batteries, you could see them in the sun and they never broke.  The electronic boards on-course bookmakers use nowadays are even worse for the same reasons and others.  They cost like £7k upwards, they're bloody heavy, need several heavy batteries, you can't fit all the horses on in big races, etc.

Synchronisation of media devices is cool.  What I don't like is when they insist on you using things like Facebook or iTunes, etc.  You need to be able to personalise it to your own needs/lifestyle rather than being told what you need to do by the technology companies.

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
  • : 756
« #4 : October 05, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
I wouldn't want a single control for everything.  When it breaks you'd be screwed.

Wow this is a first, I agree with Dan

The problem with all these connected gadgets is that no one considers securing them, for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25780908

paultyndale

• Party - TUP
  • : 187
« #5 : October 05, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
No good for me I'm afraid.

I have a thing about things being off or locked etc, for example:-

The front door - I go out and lock the door, push it to make sure it's closed, walk down the steps and then go back again to check the door. 

The Car - Again i've been known to go back and forth to the car several times to make sure it's locked - I even look in several times to make sure the immobilizer is on.

Imagine all these things being remote controlled, no - I like the feel of actually locking or switching something on or off itself.

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #6 : October 05, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
No good for me I'm afraid.

I have a thing about things being off or locked etc, for example:-

The front door - I go out and lock the door, push it to make sure it's closed, walk down the steps and then go back again to check the door. 

The Car - Again i've been known to go back and forth to the car several times to make sure it's locked - I even look in several times to make sure the immobilizer is on.

Imagine all these things being remote controlled, no - I like the feel of actually locking or switching something on or off itself.

Thats something I heavily agree with, the feedback of something being locked, on or off etc is quite reassuring, if thats taken away to some extent I think I'd struggle to relax.

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
  • : 12057
« #7 : October 05, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
When I was a student we had key code locks on outside doors in halls of residence- so you just put your code in and got in. Then you'd need a key to get into specific rooms. I find it funny how people are horrified at having this sort of lock (or a card lock, or a digital lock) on a door. I guess there is a risk of failure like anything else, but it would be cool not having to carry loads of keys everywhere. We have key fob locks at work, and there are a lot more valuables there than in my house.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #8 : October 05, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »
When I was a student we had key code locks on outside doors in halls of residence- so you just put your code in and got in. Then you'd need a key to get into specific rooms. I find it funny how people are horrified at having this sort of lock (or a card lock, or a digital lock) on a door. I guess there is a risk of failure like anything else, but it would be cool not having to carry loads of keys everywhere. We have key fob locks at work, and there are a lot more valuables there than in my house.

I've never actually used a card, fob etc to unlock doors, always had a key. I suppose its no different to a pin code for my phone etc, the way keys are being made are dramatically changing. Would be interesting to see how in 10 yrs time we all unlock doors, it might be a bit like video tapes and CDs.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • : 2899
  • The Legion Commander
« #9 : October 05, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Don't you think we would all get lazy if everything was automated?

I remember having to get up to change the channel as a kid, whereas now I just endure what's on the TV if the remote is out of reach.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Carlini8

• MU - Command - The Legion
  • : 678
« #10 : October 05, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
I am all for technology running everything provided it works, however I am with Keers on the Battlestar comment.

If my Fridge would order the things I need every week from Tesco that would be a bloody dream. If I said, fridge, I always need to have a stock of 5 cans of coke a week, if I went below 5, it would stock them up in my next weekly run. Beautiful. I am already lazy, if my fridge can sort out ordering the shopping I am happy, I have been meaning to move to weekly deliveries for ages but can just never be bothered.

If my TV could go and sort out getting all of the TV shows I want it to then I can just watch whole series of things instead of having to download them.

If I had a thermostat that worked that would be nice. Supposedly it comes on at 6am to warm up the towel rail for warm towels after my shower. Doesn't work, so either it is set wrong as it is pretty tough to figure out what it actually means or is just nonsense.

I have a key card at work to get into all of the sensitive areas, lots of information and some pretty expensive kit in some of the labs. If it works for them, it works for me. Had a keycard at uni too, was good.

Yeah I am pro, if I didn't want a specific upgrade for whatever reason I just wouldn't get it. For example if your door auto locked behind you and you could get in via your fingerprint that would work for me. Yes someone can steal your thumb, if they can take your thumb, they can take your keys.

There is a difference between automation and laziness. You can then just spend your time on more meaningful tasks in your life.

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #11 : October 05, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »
I am all for technology running everything provided it works, however I am with Keers on the Battlestar comment.

If my Fridge would order the things I need every week from Tesco that would be a bloody dream. If I said, fridge, I always need to have a stock of 5 cans of coke a week, if I went below 5, it would stock them up in my next weekly run. Beautiful. I am already lazy, if my fridge can sort out ordering the shopping I am happy, I have been meaning to move to weekly deliveries for ages but can just never be bothered.

If my TV could go and sort out getting all of the TV shows I want it to then I can just watch whole series of things instead of having to download them.

If I had a thermostat that worked that would be nice. Supposedly it comes on at 6am to warm up the towel rail for warm towels after my shower. Doesn't work, so either it is set wrong as it is pretty tough to figure out what it actually means or is just nonsense.

I have a key card at work to get into all of the sensitive areas, lots of information and some pretty expensive kit in some of the labs. If it works for them, it works for me. Had a keycard at uni too, was good.

Yeah I am pro, if I didn't want a specific upgrade for whatever reason I just wouldn't get it. For example if your door auto locked behind you and you could get in via your fingerprint that would work for me. Yes someone can steal your thumb, if they can take your thumb, they can take your keys.

There is a difference between automation and laziness. You can then just spend your time on more meaningful tasks in your life.

I've been reading up about these things, and its quite a huge thing, the main problem with it all is security, as apparently a lot of smart tech has continually been hacked to spam emails and even steal credit details.

I don't know the extent of this, but its something to consider.

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« #12 : October 06, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
I've been reading up about these things, and its quite a huge thing, the main problem with it all is security, as apparently a lot of smart tech has continually been hacked to spam emails and even steal credit details.

I don't know the extent of this, but its something to consider.

I would never expect anything to be 100% safe.

If anything I expect people with fancy security systems to get a little too safe and not follow normal security practices out of over confidence in their system.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

Wayne

• Pretty much the most badass eUKer...
  • Archivists
  • : 2517
« #13 : October 06, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »

I've got an digital door lock and a door closer on the workshop.  No need to worry about people stealing your thumbs!

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #14 : October 06, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »

I've got an digital door lock and a door closer on the workshop.  No need to worry about people stealing your thumbs!

What happens in a power outage?

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« #15 : October 06, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »

I know that some of the electric locks require very little operating power so are mostly battery power (We sell some at my work).

I presume that most other systems will have some kind of back up or fail safe.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #16 : October 06, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »

I know that some of the electric locks require very little operating power so are mostly battery power (We sell some at my work).

Oh, so similar to the tiny penny batteries laptops have in them?

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« #17 : October 06, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »

Yeah but a little more powerful I think.

They are pretty nifty locks, you can set temporary codes that last for 24hrs to let the plumber in or something.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President

ApronChef

• Magick Panda
  • RP
« #18 : October 06, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »

Yeah but a little more powerful I think.

They are pretty nifty locks, you can set temporary codes that last for 24hrs to let the plumber in or something.

That sounds p cool, I might look into these.

BaskB

• : 914
« #19 : October 08, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
Anyone who wants to rely too much on Automation clearly has no concerns about security/snooping.

Now I'm not a Tin foil hat person, but given my job and previous ones and my knowledge that ANY networked device can be hacked if wanted (and there are people that will) to have every device in my home controlled by some form of automation is an awful thought.

Am sure we've all seen films such as..... The Net, Enemy of the State, Matrix, Battlestar Galactica, Terminator, Total Recall all Fiction of course but given that we pretty much do nowadays exist 100% online (whether you think you don't, Banks, Passports,Birth Certs, Driving License etc etc all are held by/on computer databases and are checked against these, so paper copies actually means shit if you don't exist on the database) things like The NET can happen.

While some automation is nice, (Dishwasher for example as this allows me to spend the half hr I'd be washing up with my Daughter instead), we are becoming too reliant on it and when we become reliant/complacent is when mistakes/breaches happen.

All those who want automation only have to look online this year for 2 of the biggest threats to hit the internet, Shellshock the latest one is an exploit that pretty much allowed hackers IF WISHED to take over and issue commands from ANY system connected to the net, even our own Minecraft Server had the hole in security (since patched btw), and only ever takes just one scrotum on the planet to make things a serious issue....
Regiment 5 - Legion

: :
:
/
:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: