Author Topic: #occupywallstreet September 17th  (Read 10680 times)

Re: #occupywallstreet September 17th
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »
Twitter's stopped it trending as well, and apparently police are blocking off Wall Street - so much for the right to assembly

[size=125]
Do something nice... Donate Free Rice!
[/size]

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

[size=125]
[/size]

duke winter

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
So how'd it actually go?

anotherlamedrunk

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 03:33:16 am »
turned out to be a massive failure with less than a thousand attending N.Y
this is what happens when 'anarchists' organize a protest...

http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2011/09/ ... ge=true%22

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:13 pm »
lol, did anyone expect anything to actually happen?
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

johnobrow

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »
Quote from: "anotherlamedrunk"

You hear less than a thousand, I hear 10,000. How many did the police say there were? Times it by 3. (In the UK you take the number the SWP say and minus the number the police (and consequently the BBC) say)

The occupation of the nearby park is still ongoing.
EREP IS DEAD LABOUR AND DEAD TIME - LIFE IS ELSEWHERE
-------->DESTROY THAT WHICH DESTROYS YOU<--------

johnobrow

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »

Dishmcds

• Party - UKRP
  • Look behind you
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 07:10:36 pm »
>Occupy Wall Street
>Have your event on a Saturday

If you wanted effective protest, you should have done it, you know, when Wall Street was actually functionally open?
[size=150]Former 7 time Erepublikan President[/size]

Hermanos

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »
Quote from: "anotherlamedrunk"

Conservative estimates place it at 5,000, as Johno said the real figure is probably around 10,000. The near-total media blackout on the issue, combined with Twitter's censorship, makes things difficult, though.

Quote from: "Dishmcds"
>Occupy Wall Street
>Have your event on a Saturday

If you wanted effective protest, you should have done it, you know, when Wall Street was actually functionally open?

You do realise it's an occupation, and that it's still ongoing?

What stuck out from the initial protest for me was that media outlets around the world were consciously ignoring the protests. It's not as if there wasn't enough hype about them on the Internet, it's certainly not as if the protests themselves weren't big enough, it's simply that without exception every major media outlet in the world ignored the riots on the first day, and almost all of them have ignored them since. This isn't due to government censorship like we've seen in the past (or it doesn't seem to be, seeing as the blackout is global) - instead, for the first time, we're seeing a mutual and unanimous decision by the mainstream media to censor an instance of public outcry, which is shocking if you think about it.

The other thing that really stood out was that Twitter also took part in the censorship, preventing first #operationwallstreet and then #takewallstreet from trending. Previously, Twitter has always filled in where mainstream media has been lacking, being a totally free source of information - a bastion of free speech - but here we saw Twitter acting exactly the same as any other media outlet, i.e. showing its corporate roots. Surely a sign that anything less than democratic control of the means to free speech (i.e. Twitter) leads to censorship, and what is essentially repression.

[size=125]
[/size]

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:46 pm »
Turns out Yahoo were involved too.

[size=125]
[/size]

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:01 pm »
Quote from: "Asher Di Immortales"
From Wall Street

LOL.  They're so anarchist!  They will not use the path!

johnobrow

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »
[
What stuck out from the initial protest for me was that media outlets around the world were consciously ignoring the protests. It's not as if there wasn't enough hype about them on the Internet, it's certainly not as if the protests themselves weren't big enough, it's simply that without exception every major media outlet in the world ignored the riots on the first day, and almost all of them have ignored them since. This isn't due to government censorship like we've seen in the past (or it doesn't seem to be, seeing as the blackout is global) - instead, for the first time, we're seeing a mutual and unanimous decision by the mainstream media to censor an instance of public outcry, which is shocking if you think about it.

The other thing that really stood out was that Twitter also took part in the censorship, preventing first #operationwallstreet and then #takewallstreet from trending. Previously, Twitter has always filled in where mainstream media has been lacking, being a totally free source of information - a bastion of free speech - but here we saw Twitter acting exactly the same as any other media outlet, i.e. showing its corporate roots. Surely a sign that anything less than democratic control of the means to free speech (i.e. Twitter) leads to censorship, and what is essentially repression.

Same thing happened vis a vis the Indignados in Spain for the first few days.

Arthur Wellesley

• The Emperor Protects
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:58 am »
>plan anti-capitalist mass rallies all over US, barely anyone turns up
>America's Tahrir moment
5000_out_of_3_million_a_revolution_does_not_make.jpg
This is highly irregular.

The B

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:09 pm »
Quote from: "johnobrow"
Absolutely world-changing.
The B, Knight of Spamalot

Arthur Wellesley

• The Emperor Protects
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »
Quote from: "The B"
Absolutely world-changing.
Those investment bankers and hedge fund managers will never know what hit them. The pigeon population will be severely dislocated as well.

Arthur Wellesley

• The Emperor Protects
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
[

Same thing happened vis a vis the Indignados in Spain for the first few days.
Any responsible and sane media outlet would take the same measures to keep you morons from interfering in the day to day lives of sane humans.

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:22 pm »
ITT: Arthur advocates censorship of political opponents.

[size=125]
[/size]

Blaggard

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »
Doesn't everyone favor that though?  

Well, I'd be more subversive in my censorship.  I'd much rather have protests like these to show how much the "opposition" isn't making any coherent sense and isn't successfully accomplishing what they set out to do.  It's a better approach to opposition than being blunt with it because they hurt themselves.

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:39 pm »
I think the point is that if the media did that they would make the opposition more effective by dramatically increasing the size of the protests. The fact that the media is refusing to allow any leeway shows corporate fears leaking through.

[size=125]
[/size]

Blaggard

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 11:18:25 pm »
If the protests were more dramatic than Libya or the 11/9 attack on Kabul or a puppy stuck in a drain, I'm sure it would get some attention.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: