Author Topic: Origin of the term 'Forum'  (Read 653 times)

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
Origin of the term 'Forum'
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:23:38 am »
Hello all, I thought I'd bore you all with some history :P

The term forum, used widely in a variety of forms on the internet, has it's origins in the building of the same name which dominated ancient Rome. During the Republican period, the Roman Forum was one of the seats of government, and many of the most important laws were discussed and debated within. It's prominant position meant that the large piazza outside became a centre for poltical spin-doctors, bankers and other important figures waiting for news from within.

It became traditional for resolutions to be 'posted' i.e. nailed to the forum door. In a way, these were the first 'press releases'. Later, the boards of the doors became peppered with a mixture of replies to laws, official statements, requests for investors, wanted posters from criminals and escaped slaves, and so on. The forum doors were effectively an old-fashioned bulletin board. Hence the name. I have so far avoided creating a newspaper in eRep, on the basis that I enjoy being pulled apart enough on the forums without extending into the in-game experience.

However, against all common sense, I've created my newspaper, called (imaginatively) 'the Forum Door', which will be publishing articles on items listed in public debate and parliament, as well as crap from the more esotoric corners of the forums. I'm going to shamelessly plug it here, and hopefully will post articles in the news section very shortly :)

http://www.erepublik.com/en/newspaper/t ... r-181273/1
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Will Salmon

Re: Origin of the term 'Forum'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:51:35 am »
The Forum didn't have a door, the door you are referring to are the Senate House (the Curia Hostilia) doors. Also, the famous Roman orator, statesmen, lawyer and Senator Cicero who died in the 40s BC had his hands nailed to those doors and head displayed on the Rostrum. Whose body parts are you going to stick to your paper? :P

Quote from: "Iain Keers"
Hello all, I thought I'd bore you all with some history :P

Now THAT was boring history :lol:

Will
Resident Ancient Historian
Royal Navy CO
NI NHS Director
NI Senator for the Armed Services
(ex) MoMaS
(ex) British HC to Australia
Resident Ancient Historian
Claim to fame: Quoted by Bob and Rastari in their sigs
"Can You Hear What I'm Saying?" Avid fan

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
Re: Origin of the term 'Forum'
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:01:41 am »
Well technically it was the Curia Hostilia, but I was trying not to be too boring :P
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: