Author Topic: Problem with Relic's Nomination  (Read 3054 times)

Tommy Tommasino

Problem with Relic's Nomination
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:44:17 am »
In the House of Lords Proposal:

Rule #3. 3. A Member of the House of Lords cannot be the Prime Minister, or a Prime Ministerial candidate.

1.A Member of the House of Lords cannot be an active member of the Commons. If a Lord is elected to Commons, their privileges will be suspended from the HoL until they are no longer in Commons.

Currently his candidacy appears illegal, just pointing this out. Remember i just endorsed Relic yesterday so this isn't an attack, I just feel obliged to point out law. Can he step down from the position?
Every Single One
Movement for Democratic Unity

Tommy Tommasino, eUK

Teh User

Re: Problem with Relic's Nomination
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:46:28 am »
You know, I wondered, just wondered if this would be the case. I was even sure of it when I wrote my monarchy white paper. This is hence why I made it illegal to be Prime Minister or Congress Office Holder if you're  Monarch.
The eUK's Resident Pedant Over Nothing
Teh User
TUP Member
Soldier
eRoyalist

Nemo Mobilis

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:47:45 am »
I'm not confident in what position to take on this. For all intents and purposes it would mean that Deathtoll would have to run unopposed unless an acceptable replacement was found. Because the PCP is a body of users who as a group form and mold policy i don't see why it couldn't be another member.
"No man born with a living soul can be workin' for the clampdown." Joe Strummer

rastari

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:16 am »
he'll step down from the house of lords
2 boblo's for epic awesomeness 2008 and 2009

Quote from: "malta1990"
Well, I'll call it a victory to Jerry. Well Done! Gap is too large now.

HazzN

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:26 am »
I imagine it could be side stepped if Relic removed himself from Lords.

twaters

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:50:57 am »
I would suspect simply that Relic's Lordship is suspended for the time being.

Teh User

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51:19 am »
Quote from: "HazzN"
I imagine it could be side stepped if Relic removed himself from Lords.

It did say that Relic couldn't be a candidate in the first place, what do you make of that?
Teh User
TUP Member
Soldier
eRoyalist

Nemo Mobilis

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51:27 am »
The problem is that I don't think you can resign from the lords unless you run for Commons. That was the only way to change your title when I glanced over the document myself.

HazzN

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:56 am »
He should have resigned from Lords prior to the campaign. But he didn't. He hasn't been elected to Commons yet so he won't be pubished. That would be my assumption.

EDIT: and the punishment was only to have his Lordship removed, so I suppose it makes little difference as long as he steps down.

Nemo Mobilis

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 01:57:32 am »
I don't like the idea of invalidating his candidacy but we need to enforce our laws no matter how seemingly unfair. If we dislike this then we need to clear up our treaties.

Tommy Tommasino

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:52 am »
Quote from: "Nemo Mobilis"
I don't like the idea of invalidating his candidacy but we need to enforce our laws no matter how seemingly unfair. If we dislike this then we need to clear up our treaties.

On the other hand however, a 1 man race would be a travesty for democracy in this country - I don't think that's an option. There's nothing there which says he can't step down from the Lords?
Every Single One
Movement for Democratic Unity

Tommy Tommasino, eUK

Teh User

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 02:00:35 am »
Does candidate mean either:

"I, Relic, intend to run for the office of Prime Minister',

or

Relic's name appearing on the voting sheet on the eRepublik website?

If the latter, he still has almost 48 hours to resign from the Lords if it is possible.
Teh User
TUP Member
Soldier
eRoyalist

HazzN

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:48 am »
1.A Member of the House of Lords cannot be an active member of the Commons. If a Lord is elected to Commons, their privileges will be suspended from the HoL until they are no longer in Commons.

Even if he does get voted in, all that will happen is his Lordship would be removed. So step down now, or be removed later, does this stop him running for CP?

and Teh User, if you were a lawer, you would be getting paid A LOT just now.

Teh User

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 02:08:03 am »
Quote from: "HazzN"

Even if he does get voted in, all that will happen is his Lordship would be removed. So step down now, or be removed later, does this stop him running for CP?

and Teh User, if you were a lawer, you would be getting paid A LOT just now.

I intend to take law at Sixth Form so donations welcome.

I believe there is no official method to know that Relic is truly running for Prime Minister until his name appears on the ballot page.

http://www.erepublik.com/en/presidentia ... country-29 - What does this imply according to eUK law?
Teh User
TUP Member
Soldier
eRoyalist

Nemo Mobilis

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:11:27 am »
I believe the spirit of the HoL was for those who had no more aspirations for the leadership of the country beyond the role of advisor. It is then inferred that when you are in the Lords you have relinquished a right to the Presidency. The document should eb re-evaluated and changed to be more clear and offer alternatives if so desired. But for the time being Relic is a Lord and open to no other positions. Is the PCP so short on qualified members they cannot offer up anyone else? They would be able to spin this in faovr of their "party" majority beliefs without a doubt.

HazzN

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 02:12:16 am »
*sigh*

One day I am going to keep my big mouth shut and not be ruled by my moral compass...

Taytaz

• Party - PCP
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 02:53:51 am »
I am sorry, but nowhere in any passed bill have i seen a reference to a definition of Prime Minister, or a candidate for that role. Without the constitution, no terms have been defined officially so we must default to official eRep term of Country President, of which that bill makes no mention...

Nemo Mobilis

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 06:16:07 am »
3. A Member of the House of Lords cannot be the Prime Minister, or a Prime Ministerial candidate. If a Lord is the Prime Minister, or a Prime Ministerial candidate, their privileges will be suspended from the HoL until they are no longer the Prime Minister, or a Prime Ministerial candidate.
Ha, here we are, Relic is revalidated via our own laws. Visit the old forums and go to Government Policy. I was going to snoop around and see if there was a precedent set by any previous votes on procedures or policies. This seems to be the most current iteration of the HoL procedures and it clearly states that Relic will be temporarily suspended from the HoL. Also may I add that it is a low attempt to validate something by saying that due to a lack of a constitution anything we feel that doesn't sit right with us can be semanticed away without a second thought. Under the auspices that we don't have a constitution I argue that any laws that the House of Lords have looked over are invalidated based purely on the merit that they do not exist. I would also like to see ATLANTIS and our military demobilized and disbanded at once because they are artificial constructs that cannot exist in a country without a constitution.

StanWephen

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:45 am »
Nemo is correct in what he's found as the HoL legislation - Prime Ministeral Candidates who are in the HoL have their priviliges in the HoL revoked until they're no longer a candidate or PM. Me and Relic discussed this at the very beginning of the campaign, and I reminided him not to post in the HoL which he has not.
Party President of the People's Communist Party: Oct 08 - Feb 09; July 09 - August 09
Former Lord: Jan 09 - June 09
Former MP: June 08 - Dec 08
Minister of Education: Sep 08 - Dec 08

Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95

Rayf Drayson

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 08:51:03 am »
If he's temporarily suspended from the HoL during the campaign (and will formally fully step down should he win), then there's no problem.
The Dude abides.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: