Author Topic: World Cup, what do you think?  (Read 1555 times)

Sir Botham

World Cup, what do you think?
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:07:13 pm »
As a RL South African I'm interested to hear what you lot think of the World Cup in South Africa. Was it a success or failure? Anything that impressed you?

Please don't discuss the ball cos that had nothing to do with our country... blame Adidas. :D

[size=150]☭[/size][/color]

Adam John

Re: World Cup, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »
I've enjoyed it. The Vuvuzelas have gotten a tad annoying at times though. I much prefer singing and chants to droning.

The football has been good for the most part. I'm one game away from winning a few quid if Holland lift the cup as well. (Though fate is a prick tease so Spain will win.)

Timbuktuu

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:36 pm »
cba going in to detail, but put simply

Failure: FIFA-lack of fans in stadiums not south africas fault because im sure everybody would have loved to have seen any match, but why didnt they give free tickets to the nationals?! Sepp Blater-everything about him = Fail... video technology. Stadium atmosphere... lack of. England lol

Success: European football, the joy of watching spain play, the underdogs, ghana

Joachim von Bremen

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
South Africa were good hosts, but it was a failure of a world cup.
Quote from: "ljseoer"
For me  , i 'm addict to the actress 's dress ,shoes ,jewelry,bags............,so what about you? why are you like it or hate it ?

Skillz88

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:39 pm »
Quote from: "Joachim von Bremen"
South Africa were good hosts, but it was a failure of a world cup.
^ Pretty much

The World Cup didn't really kick off until the knockout stages.
[size=120]The difference between people is not how they behave but how they are treated.

Preparation for the new me is complete, time to
troll out.

(\\_/)
    (>.<)
(")_(") | MID
[/size]

KaisKais

• Archivists
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »
Pretty normal world cup tbh. Nothing especially interesting other than Ghana. I still find the Suarez handball thing ridiculous, the ref should be allowed to give a goal for that.
Quote from: "JvB"
Quote from: "Goku Jones"
If a group of people have been oppressed for 100's of years, I think we can let them take ownership of the racist terms used against them.
I hereby grant ownership of the term 'massive silly cabbage' to Goku Jones.

The B

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:14:11 pm »
Just average. No real fails except FIFA themselves who yet again proved themselves to be absolute retards.
The B, Knight of Spamalot

Sir Botham

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
Without trying to be biased I believe that South Africa staged a truly wonderful tournament. The ball, style of play by the teams, etc has nothing to do with us (South Africans).

I wasn't behind the bid but, I will be the first to admit that I was surprised by my country. Most countries never wanted us to host the cup due to crime stats, etc. However, there were no major incidents reported.

The only thing that did irritate me was the vuvuzela's. But, strangely enough, they were not as irritating when you go to the stadiums.

Well done, South Africa!

John Bartlett

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »
didn't think much of the world cup myself. usually I get gripped by them and watch as many games as I can, this time I barely took notice.
[size=180][/size]
Quote from: "Goku Jones"
John Bartlett is a visionary and you are all too scared or self interested to follow him.

Lionbeard

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »
This is the first world cup I've really taken an interest into. Aside from a few games, I thought the play was a bit mediocre.
"Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!" Barbie

Lando Khan

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
Putting it into the contex of the country which hosted it, I thought it was a success. South Africa really pulled all the stops in making a great world cup and should be praised for their effort.
We're all mad here

coram_boy

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »
Quote from: "Lando Khan"
Putting it into the contex of the country which hosted it, I thought it was a success. South Africa really pulled all the stops in making a great world cup and should be praised for their effort.
their efforts were sadly marred by generally bad matches.
Minister for various things, once upon a time.
That guy you've probably never heard of.*
* with good reason :)

bamber

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »
Quote from: "Sir Botham"
As a RL South African I'm interested to hear what you lot think of the World Cup in South Africa. Was it a success or failure? Anything that impressed you?

Please don't discuss the ball cos that had nothing to do with our country... blame Adidas. :D

a failure.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sir Botham

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »
Quote from: "bamber"

a failure.

Shame, a very sad person you are. Was it a failure bcos no-one was killed or raped, etc like your press made you believe would happen?

Skillz88

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »
Quote from: "bamber"
a failure.

Shame, a very sad person you are. Was it a failure bcos no-one was killed or raped, etc like your press made you believe would happen?
woah, where did that come from Sir Botham? Whilst I don't agree with bamber, I don't think that passionate response was called for.
[size=120]The difference between people is not how they behave but how they are treated.

troll out.

(\\_/)
    (>.<)
(")_(") | MID
[/size]

Sir Botham

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 09:27:31 pm »
Quote from: "Skillz88"
woah, where did that come from Sir Botham? Whilst I don't agree with bamber, I don't think that passionate response was called for.

You're right. That was out of line from my side. It's just very strange to hear people say that it was a failure when the whole world knows and agrees that it was a great success.

We had a problem before the world cup started where everybody and I mean everybody wanted us to fail.

Sorry again.

Skillz88

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »
No I understand where you're coming from. Everyone feels angry at times, I use to go overboard a lot.
I know a lot of people were skeptical about South Africa hosting. They felt they were not up to it and was too dangerous, the media exaggerates a lot of things. The success of the World Cup at South Africa is evidence against trusting the media. Listen to it, but don't regard it as the full truth.

troll out.

(\\_/)
    (>.<)
(")_(") | MID
[/size]

Joachim von Bremen

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:34 am »
Quote from: "Skillz88"

You're right. That was out of line from my side. It's just very strange to hear people say that it was a failure when the whole world knows and agrees that it was a great success.

We had a problem before the world cup started where everybody and I mean everybody wanted us to fail.

Sorry again.

Don't worry, Bamber's just a bit, um, 'slow'.
Quote from: "ljseoer"
For me  , i 'm addict to the actress 's dress ,shoes ,jewelry,bags............,so what about you? why are you like it or hate it ?

Sir Botham

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 10:25:43 am »
Quote from: "Joachim von Bremen"
Don't worry, Bamber's just a bit, um, 'slow'.

:lol: