Author Topic: Bring back National Service?  (Read 3691 times)

Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar

• Global Moderator
Re: Bring back National Service?
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »
Quote from: "The Eco State"
But he is just a person we all make mistakes

No, he's a ridiculously privileged person who is almost always in the public eye for one thing or another.
HRH Pope Digby V, Prince of Hanover, KC, KG, KP, GBE, OGS, FRSL, BGD, PhD
Chancellor of BBH Open University

hammybear

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:26 am »
As someone who applied for entry into the Army i'd say no it's a bad idea for National Service in the sense that it should only be for people that want to go in.
One benefit that i think could be obtained by it though is that i reckon it would sort alot of young people's lives out. Even sticking to a strict routine for a couple of years will change people. Not to mention they may have more respect where needed. A few of you have mentioned you wouldn't want all the chavs taught how to fire an assault rifle, simple, get to them before they turn chavvy!!!

In light of the Prince Harry incident the shitty Tabloid 'Newspapers' have been plastering on the front covers, it's not like he called him a f***ing paki or anything, had he panned across to an Irish or Scottish bloke i'm sure he would have thrown in a drunk remark or something of the like.
And as for the Nazi thing a couple of years back, yes the whole idea behind the organisation was terrible but it's only because of who he is that it all kicked off. He had to have got the outfit from somewhere, meaning that someone else out there has also worn it. People need to try seeing the funnier side of things every now and again.

Sara.Droz

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 09:52:19 am »
My point twaters is it seems a little strange to encourage the killing of others with mines, plutonium tipped shells, grenades and even nuclear weapons but to jump all over someone for being non pc. Surely some hypocracy there?
Robots call, but we don't answer to their wail
Computers hum and bright lights flash to no avail
The course has been set for us to go in light years past
Outlaws of time, visions of an ancient cast.

Chandler Bing

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
Quote from: "Digby Chicken-Caesar"
Quote from: "widdows9000"
Quote from: "Digby Chicken-Caesar"
Do we really want to give chavs the training to kill people?

LOL, but they'd be killing the right people if they're in the army ;)

And after their compulsory term is over?

Look up ex-military murder rates in Switzerland.

in switzerland they are given their own gun so aslong as we don't allow that we should be okay
anyway its the drill part of national service and the discipline that will help not actually getting them to go to war so i know its not actual national service but its the same idea

Will Salmon

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 05:11:11 pm »
Quote from: "Chandler Bing"
in switzerland they are given their own gun so aslong as we don't allow that we should be okay
anyway its the drill part ofnaional service and the discipline that will help not actually getting them to go to war so i know its not actual national service but its the same idea

National Service recruits only go to war in the rarest of circumstances anyway.
Royal Navy CO
NI NHS Director
NI Senator for the Armed Services
(ex) MoMaS
(ex) British HC to Australia
Resident Ancient Historian
Claim to fame: Quoted by Bob and Rastari in their sigs
"Can You Hear What I'm Saying?" Avid fan

Chandler Bing

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 05:19:31 pm »
wait i have a better idea for people who don't stay on in 6th form an don't get a job straight away get them to do national service. Solve two problems at once unemployment and people running around on the street causing mayhem. Also once there i don't let them fight get them to do the jobs the peole who volunteer don't want to do for example that airbase in afganistan, its sewage disposal system can't cope with the amount of troops stationed there so get all the people we don't want in our society to clean that up.

Will Salmon

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »
Make them cleaners, but with extra discipline :D
Royal Navy CO
NI NHS Director
(ex) MoMaS

hammybear

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
Quote from: "Chandler Bing"
wait i have a better idea for people who don't stay on in 6th form an don't get a job straight away get them to do national service. Solve two problems at once unemployment and people running around on the street causing mayhem. Also once there i don't let them fight get them to do the jobs the peole who volunteer don't want to do for example that airbase in afganistan, its sewage disposal system can't cope with the amount of troops stationed there so get all the people we don't want in our society to clean that up.

So you're basically saying take our shit and move it to somewhere else where they will then move shit? Genius!

I'm sure it's only those currently on National Service in Switzerland that are allowed the Assault Rifle at home. It's not a 'you finished your national service now have a gun' scenario.

Will Salmon

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 08:47:19 pm »
The Swiss never really finish National Service, you do a set amount each year - and it's the law to keep a weapon in your house or with you if you are leaving your house for long periods (days at a time).
Royal Navy CO
NI NHS Director
(ex) MoMaS

anarchist13

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:22 pm »
National Service will help crack people into shape

and also if they introduce it again then most of the people who think they are bad-ass will just say 'naah...im too coool for that'

then get thrown in prison

and those with ASBOs and things should get behaviour closely monitored and not be allowed to leave until they are deemed fit to return to society
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Quote from: "GabrielMc"
Johnobrow makes even Engels go "woah! steady on mate!"
[/i]

hammybear

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:18 pm »
Quote from: "Will Salmon"
The Swiss never really finish National Service, you do a set amount each year - and it's the law to keep a weapon in your house or with you if you are leaving your house for long periods (days at a time).

Ah ok, i thought it was like most of the other European countries where you just do it between certain ages, normally ending at around 21/22.

Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:32 pm »
I just think after 20 if you haven't got a job without reason you should have dole cut off until you do. I have no respect for those who don't try. If you have to take care of someone for your life or you yourself are disabled then that's a reasonable reason and you should get benefits, but the people that just scrounge and waste money on alcohol and drugs are pathetic.

At least people who work in places like McDonalds have the decency and even dignity to try.

However, youth organisations like cadets can give the same experience but in youth and give experience useful in life. I was in the ACF for two years and there's nothing I didn't learn that I won't be able to apply to a job. Even the discipline required in D&T.
HRH Pope Digby V, Prince of Hanover, KC, KG, KP, GBE, OGS, FRSL, BGD, PhD
Chancellor of BBH Open University

Patrick Reckitt

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 03:53:07 pm »
I was in the Air Training Corps (like the ACF, but better ;)) for two years and here is what I have to say on National Service: I, as an attender of Quaker Meetings and a Pacifist don't believe that the idea of conscription is right, but I do believe that young people should definitely be encouraged to join a Cadet Force.
'I Am Death, Not Taxes. I Occur Only Once' - Sir Terry Pratchett

Horice: still chickens for me :(

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: