Author Topic: "This week in congress"?  (Read 1346 times)

Lily

• Political - Party Presidents
Re: "This week in congress"?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:13:20 pm »
Quote from: "Ayame Crocodile"
That was what I was thinking Talon. Create a gDoc form with a few questions and then PM every member of a party and members of MU's to see what general issues people are facing at this moment.

If no one minds I'd be happy to give this a go and put up a proposal to run a public opinion poll this weekend. (although I'd ofc appreciate any input and help)

Belgium did that with congress members before congress elections, to show who they would be voting for.

http://www.erepublik.com/en/article/con ... 08709/1/20

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
<Reincarnate>: viperb10 suck my cock
<Reincarnate>: shit
<Reincarnate>: just spilt my drink

Joffrey Baratheon

• PCP Diehard
  • RP
  • Furtim Vigilans
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 05:16:36 pm »
Quote from: "Lily Jayne Summers"
That was what I was thinking Talon. Create a gDoc form with a few questions and then PM every member of a party and members of MU's to see what general issues people are facing at this moment.

If no one minds I'd be happy to give this a go and put up a proposal to run a public opinion poll this weekend. (although I'd ofc appreciate any input and help)

Belgium did that with congress members before congress elections, to show who they would be voting for.

Looks good, perhaps we could conduct a poll of our Congress as well, although I fear many of us have the same opinions on the major issues... could be a boring read.

~Esse Quam Videri~

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

Looks good, perhaps we could conduct a poll of our Congress as well, although I fear many of us have the same opinions on the major issues... could be a boring read.

It's worth a shot in my opinion. If it gets nowhere the first time then I wouldn't bother doing it again.

Lily

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »
It's actually quite good. It shows what their views on subjects that are important news. I.e. What would you do to the budget, or your views on our current Alliance. So voters know more about what candidate they will be getting in congress.

The only problem with the Belgium example is organising it before the congress elections with people who want to become congress members.

Struggle Snuggles

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:40 pm »
Well, if anything happens in Congress, sure.

A lot of months nothing happens, like when we are being occupied.

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 01:55:44 pm »
Quote from: "Snuggles"
Well, if anything happens in Congress, sure.

A lot of months nothing happens, like when we are being occupied.

Personally, and no offence to the current congress, I don't think anything will happen after this week. Tradition, ya know

Edit: I'm a Former 10 time UK congressman and activity has slumped pretty much since after July 2011.

Struggle Snuggles

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 01:58:00 pm »
totally. We get spurts of activity now and then, with one or two people making a name for themselves and making contributions to our civic society (etc etc) and the rest keep the ship afloat. Most of the year, it is voting for what the CP and UKCS people tell you to do. Unless that's being coated in generous amounts of RP sauce, I'm not sure that "this week in parliament" could last that long. Again no offence to current congress!!

< Is former conga-ess

jamesw

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
We've tried this in the past. If memory serves, our population was around ~4k and we had ~1k 'actives' aka alive users; the articles are (i believe) still in Bowen's newspaper, the majority got 10-20 votes; the rest are orgs/purchased.

Lily

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 07:39:38 am »
Quote from: "jamesw"
We've tried this in the past. If memory serves, our population was around ~4k and we had ~1k 'actives' aka alive users; the articles are (i believe) still in Bowen's newspaper, the majority got 10-20 votes; the rest are orgs/purchased.

Bad idea to try it again?

Wayne

• Pretty much the most badass eUKer...
  • Archivists
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:41 am »
Bad idea to try it again?

It'll last two weeks, and no one will be interested!

jamesw

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:18 pm »
Yes it is a bad idea to try it again. Its been done more than once, and as I said, when we had more people alive, engaged and involved. Even then, the last time congress decided on something important, they made the wrong call, and throughout the process, the only person who was even remotely interested or engaged was a newfag called Talon Karrde, and he isn't 'congress' anymore, so unless we have a new generation that can muster the energy to ask simple questions, which we dont and never have/will, then its pointless.

also I'll give you 10 gryffindor points for managing to reply without somehow referencing how belgium operates, or how belgium does more things/better things.

Lily

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »
Yes it is a bad idea to try it again. Its been done more than once, and as I said, when we had more people alive, engaged and involved. Even then, the last time congress decided on something important, they made the wrong call, and throughout the process, the only person who was even remotely interested or engaged was a newfag called Talon Karrde, and he isn't 'congress' anymore, so unless we have a new generation that can muster the energy to ask simple questions, which we dont and never have/will, then its pointless.

also I'll give you 10 gryffindor points for managing to reply without somehow referencing how belgium operates, or how belgium does more things/better things.

What suggestions would you make to making people more involved in Congress? Or as you say, it's down to the people we elect having to "muster the energy to ask simple questions" Surely, we can do something. Getting congress members more involved in the different departments of government (Although that's the CPs/Ministers job to decide) The thing is, is it not worth trying something even if there is a risk of it not working?

And thank you, James! ^^ Welcome back, too.

jamesw

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 05:09:45 pm »
You're echoing points that have been made for a year longer than you've been playing. I guess I'm just bored of initiatives, attempts, roles and/or systems to give congress something to do. Ultimately, they can and should find things that they should do, and as I said; the last time I witnessed this, they made the wrong call and showed no real interest in it anyway.

My solution isn't to bother anymore, something like "this week in actuality" - an account of what has happened, would be much more useful.

Lily

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »
You're echoing points that have been made for a year longer than you've been playing. I guess I'm just bored of initiatives, attempts, roles and/or systems to give congress something to do. Ultimately, they can and should find things that they should do, and as I said; the last time I witnessed this, they made the wrong call and showed no real interest in it anyway.

My solution isn't to bother anymore, something like "this week in actuality" - an account of what has happened, would be much more useful.

I agree with you.

I do think it's partially down to the admins though and not congress members (Although they need to take the incentive and become involved themselves). If they made improvements to the game it'll be a lot easier to discuss things and in general be a congress member.

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »
Next congress article:
"Congress (about four of forty) discussed some things"

I tried.

Scott Parsons

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »
Quote from: "Thomas765"
Next congress article:
"Congress (about four of forty) discussed some things"

I tried.
You missed "but we can't tell you what they are yet" from the end of that and then the follow up article from three weeks later when it all fell apart from cp/congress changes or everyone just plain doesn't care anymore.

Nebojsa

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18:20 am »
Quote from: "Thomas765"
Also getting people involved by asking stuff like "What do you want to see parliament do?"
AHAHAHA XD... sad but true...

Sir Humphrey Appleby

• Permanent Speaker
  • Party - UKRP
  • Sodomy non sapiens
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »
Maybe put in place a 1/2 month rule for sensitive information to be released into the archives after initial publication?

Wouldn't hurt to have a weekly article with parliamentary updates and progress either. Would like to see more congressional involvement with the discuss of national finances as well :3
<Guitah> not arguing with a Brit about tea is tha sensible thing to do :)
<Appleby> it is common knowledge it is pointless arguing with an addict :p
<Appleby> thus it is pointless arguing about tea with brits

Sexagenarian

• Grumpy Old F@rt
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 01:40:40 pm »
Quote from: "Appleby"
Maybe put in place a 1/2 month rule for sensitive information to be released into the archives after initial publication?

An open Congress? In eUK?? Surely not  :o