Author Topic: Scotland's Oil?  (Read 5668 times)

Metapod

• Lord of The Dance
  • Political - Member of Parliament
Re: Scotland's Oil?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »

I'M A RAINBOW CITIZEN.

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
Scotland, if independent right now, would be the 8th richest in the World.

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 10:07:28 pm »

dw bro, its thoroughly entertaining 
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

Talon Karrde

• Party - TUP
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:06 pm »
If Scotland does go independant, I hope the tarrifs on whisky aren't too high. I like whisky.

Tuus in terra servus, nuntius fui; officium perfeci

Butjam

• Failed Messiah
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 02:06:58 am »
flower the North going with you, I'm pretty fucking cozy here. I'm proud to be Northern, my Southern housemates don't get away from it. I'm from the city that invented the computer and discovered the atom, and yet I still want to be part of the UK, because there's power in unity. Advantages to having London in the same country as me outweigh the disadvantages. Politicians will politicise whether they're in Westminster or a mucky Yorkshire moor, don't go thinking it's fucking sunshine and rainbows if you ain't got to deal with London, all your parasites will just migrate and wear warmer coats.
[20:04] <&butjam> .seen TheMessiah
[20:04] <&fapfire> Looking for yourself, eh butjam?

Quote from: RodneyMcKay
Can we all just play the game and have a bit of fun please.
Angry butjam is best butjam.

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 03:07:41 am »
And to Thomas. yes, we were once a country. Thats part of it. I don't feel British. I feel Scottish. I don't want myself to be associated with Britain, that "great empire" that established concentration camps and enslaved races. I have never said to anybody YOU SHOULD VOTE YES BECAUSE OF WILLIAM WALLACE. Why would I? Thats silly. It would be like saying VOTE NO BECAUSE WE STOPPED THE NAZIS TOGETHER. Oh wait. I have been told that, despite having the French and the Americans and the Australians and all those others stop them.

Maybe we will vote no, and we will have our budget cut by Westminster. I wonder how long we will be able to keep that free university tuition and still public NHS when Westminster tries to squeeze us of every drop of oil, blood and cash left in us in the name of Austerity.

Seems to be? You should come to where I live, where children come from council estates and require free school meals because their income is so low. The Yes vote is growing ever larger, as more people feel bullied by Westminster and hopeful of what independence could mean. A fairer society.

Had we not been part of Britain, we would still be partly a financial ruin (citation: Scottish attempted colonisation of Panama). Since our co-integration into the union we helped form, we gained a lot. Now that the benefits have gone, we want to leave? I'd rather live in the North of England than stay in an independent Scotland, despite my Scottishness. The reason I've not been convinced to vote yes is simply because the SNP and other nationalist arguments can't seem to properly outline an argument without even mentioning that "Westminster is simply bullying Scotland".

When hypotheses are stated as facts by Holyrood, it annoys me, and makes me further inclined to convince my friends to vote no. "the UK would be better off having a currency with Scotland. They [Westminster] are wanting to bully Scotland in order to advance their own interests." The advancing their own interests part, in particular might be true but that's politics. However, whether we get to join the British pound (note: 'British' not 'English' or 'Scottish') is not up to us. Instead of coming up with an alternative plan, all I seem to read is that "we are being oppressed. we will get the pound".

In my home town - Falkirk - we're too busy spending money on the "Kelpies" instead of creating more job opportunities. In Dundee, we have a £300m riverside modernisation programme going on, funded by the UK government might I add, which again, could be used in alternative ways. I won't deny that the Riverfront looks like an eyesore but there's no need to open up a Victoria and Albert museum halfway into the Tay.

Alice

• Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Boblo Island
  • Rabbit hole explorer
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:42 am »
Fact: Moriarty is Salmond.
Everything you say is boring and incomprehensible, but that alone doesn't make it true.
Quote from: Professor Bob Boblo
He had spent his whole life despised and hated for the mere triviality of wearing dresses and make-up despite possessing a (rather magnificent) penis, and this persecution had fostered within him both a desperate yearning to be loved and appreciated, and an iconoclastic desire to subvert and destroy the odious traditions on which society was built.

Thomas765

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 10:31:30 am »
With regards to oil. If we're using it as a means of building an economy, we're fucked.

(Kinda accidentally hit reply instead of modify >_>)

Stianoux

• Woldean Court
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:44 am »

I for one will put my trust and support behind the Scottish people, as only they should truly decide the fate of their nation.

Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar

• Global Moderator
HRH Pope Digby V, Prince of Hanover, KC, KG, KP, GBE, OGS, FRSL, BGD, PhD
Chancellor of BBH Open University

Prof Moriarty

• RP
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 04:48:22 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26364418

What a load of rubbish written over nothing. Almost as overblown as the whole David Bowie saga.

"On 18 September 2014 a referendum will be held to decide whether Scotland should become an independent country. In recent months some of our customers have been in touch with us to ask what impact this would have on their savings and investments with Standard Life.

Our key priority is to continue serving the needs of our 4 million UK customers, wherever they reside and regardless of any constitutional change. The same applies to our customers in other parts of the world.

As a business we have a long-standing policy of strict political neutrality and at no time will we advise people on how they should vote, but we have a duty and a responsibility to understand the implications of independence for our customers and other stakeholders and to take whatever action may be necessary to protect their interests.

In view of the uncertainty that is likely to remain around this issue, there are steps that we can and will take now based on our own analysis. For example, we have started work to establish additional registered companies to operate outside Scotland, into which we could transfer parts of our operations if it was necessary to do so.

This is a purely precautionary measure, and customers do not need to take any action. We are simply putting in place a mechanism which, in the event of constitutional change, allows us to provide continuity to customers and to continue serving them, wherever they live in the UK.

Customers can find further details in our 2013 Annual Report and Accounts from our Chief Executive David Nish and Chairman Gerry Grimstone.”

Where in that do they "Threaten to leave"? They say they may, if necessary, have to transfer some of its operations out of Scotland. But considering they've made similiar statements like that in years gone past and did not follow through with them, I'm not exactly "frightened."

Also, /me deletes internet history at Bute House.
Atticus Sand, Lord of Last Post Wins

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »
"we have a duty and a responsibility to understand the implications of independence for our customers and other stakeholders and to take whatever action may be necessary to protect their interests."

If they weren't considering a move they wouldn't have written that. They would have just said "nothing will change if Scotland goes independent". Fact is every major PLC in Scotland is going to flower off if you leave. If you're a national company which employs people all over the UK, and 9/10 of your company/market is suddenly in a foreign country, do you stick with the 1/10 or the 9/10 part. Simple as that. Scotland is gonna be a barren wasteland full of orcs eating each other's mouldy haggis if they vote yes.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Prof Moriarty

• RP
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
"we have a duty and a responsibility to understand the implications of independence for our customers and other stakeholders and to take whatever action may be necessary to protect their interests."

If they weren't considering a move they wouldn't have written that. They would have just said "nothing will change if Scotland goes independent". Fact is every major PLC in Scotland is going to flower off if you leave. If you're a national company which employs people all over the UK, and 9/10 of your company/market is suddenly in a foreign country, do you stick with the 1/10 or the 9/10 part. Simple as that. Scotland is gonna be a barren wasteland full of orcs eating each other's mouldy haggis if they vote yes.

That company also said they would leave with devolution. Banks threatened to leave Hong Kong. Still there.

The only one who seems a dead cert to leave is Michelle Mone, and frankly if she wants to leave she can. She barely hires anyone here anyway.

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:47 pm »
Please tell me you did not just compare Hong Kong to Scotland
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Talon Karrde

• Party - TUP
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:54 pm »
I also like scottish smoked salmon, please don't take it away.

Sir Jimmy

• MU - The Legion
  • I'm Just Causally Taking A Sh*t In Your Toilet
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 09:43:09 pm »
If scotland goes independent, does that mean they go independent on eRepublik as well??? That would be fun :D

_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png_3rd_Regiment_The_Legion.png
The Legion 3rd Division (Carlini's Avengers)
Captain Spygon

Talon Karrde

• Party - TUP
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »
If scotland goes independent, does that mean they go independent on eRepublik as well??? That would be fun :D

To any erep admins watching, Scotland is well known for its reserves of saltpeter and rubber.

Prof Moriarty

• RP
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:30 pm »
I also like scottish smoked salmon, please don't take it away.

I smuggle it through the borders to you Talon. Just give me address and money.

Also, Moriarty 4 President.

Alice

• Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Boblo Island
  • Rabbit hole explorer
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 08:14:28 am »

To any erep admins watching, Scotland is well known for its reserves of saltpeter and rubber.
And therefore soon known for being a polish colony :p
Everything you say is boring and incomprehensible, but that alone doesn't make it true.
Quote from: Professor Bob Boblo
He had spent his whole life despised and hated for the mere triviality of wearing dresses and make-up despite possessing a (rather magnificent) penis, and this persecution had fostered within him both a desperate yearning to be loved and appreciated, and an iconoclastic desire to subvert and destroy the odious traditions on which society was built.

Metapod

• Lord of The Dance
  • Political - Member of Parliament
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 11:23:28 am »
Scotland won't vote yes though. A No victory is inevitable.

I'M A RAINBOW CITIZEN.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: