eRepublik UK

Author Topic: Map Update  (Read 1397 times)

BaskB

Map Update
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »
All,

Just to advise after about 1hrs time, the map will be viewable on all 4 axis (North, South,East, West)

Updates will then be switched to hourly now we've settled down the initial exploring a bit

Bask
Regiment 5 - Legion

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
Re: Map Update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:29 pm »
Is there a top down option?

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »
i demand 1 min updates
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

BaskB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:33:39 pm »
Is there a top down option?

Top down as in 2D flat?
Regiment 5 - Legion

RodneyMcKay

• Global Moderator
  • The Legion Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »
Yeah, or birds eye what ever you call it.

Admiral Rodney McKay DSO
Commander of The Legion
ex-ESO Party President
Admiral of the fleet (Ret.

Alice

• Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Boblo Island
  • Rabbit hole explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »
underground view? :p
Everything you say is boring and incomprehensible, but that alone doesn't make it true.
Quote from: Professor Bob Boblo
He had spent his whole life despised and hated for the mere triviality of wearing dresses and make-up despite possessing a (rather magnificent) penis, and this persecution had fostered within him both a desperate yearning to be loved and appreciated, and an iconoclastic desire to subvert and destroy the odious traditions on which society was built.

BaskB

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 07:45:30 pm »
Yeah, or birds eye what ever you call it.

Overviewer is 3D only.

But there are plenty of 2D ones I can also setup, doesn't take long at all if theres a demand for it
Regiment 5 - Legion

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:46 pm »
1 hour is still too long bro

LongShotzZ

• Lord Of Everything
  • Party - UKRP
  • I'm not a racist.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »
1 hour is still too long bro

30 mins ftw.
Zaphod: "LongShotzZ is slightly better than mediocre."
Sir Rex: "You know you're in deep shit when you have to ask LongShotzZ to bail you out!"
Mwcerberus: "If I had to pick between fighting 50 duck-sized LongShotzZ's or 1 horse-sized LongShotzZ I think I'd have to get my gun and kill all 51."

BaskB

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:08 pm »
Personally I have no issue with every 30 mins, but there are some on the server with slower connection/slower gear that lag when it runs, having it done hourly reduces the effect on them
Regiment 5 - Legion

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »
anyone who is autistic enough to spend more than 30 mins on minecraft (everyone on server) would most likely have the means to run it smoothly

Gregory Gallangher

• The Lord Ellpus
  • Woldean Court
  • Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »
I am one of the people with performance problems so I'll explain.

My rig is more than decent enough to have no problem running MC, so that part isn't the problem.

However my internet connection here at the university, to be more precise in the dorm is limited to say at least. The ports minecraft uses are banned so I cannot use the internet service I have here to play. However I have a USB stick mobile internet, but with limited bandwidth, and monthly data limit. When playing on the mobile internet the map update does influence my lag, but it's like less than 1% of the issue. So as for me the update time doesn't really matter if people prefer more frequent update I don't have a problem with that.

p.s.: Any idea if I can somehow go around the port block (port 25565 is blocked)  and use the regular internet to access MC servers? I tried VPN-s but either I failed to set them up, or they didn't solve the problem.
~'Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose.'~

BaskB

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »
I am one of the people with performance problems so I'll explain.

My rig is more than decent enough to have no problem running MC, so that part isn't the problem.

However my internet connection here at the university, to be more precise in the dorm is limited to say at least. The ports minecraft uses are banned so I cannot use the internet service I have here to play. However I have a USB stick mobile internet, but with limited bandwidth, and monthly data limit. When playing on the mobile internet the map update does influence my lag, but it's like less than 1% of the issue. So as for me the update time doesn't really matter if people prefer more frequent update I don't have a problem with that.

p.s.: Any idea if I can somehow go around the port block (port 25565 is blocked)  and use the regular internet to access MC servers? I tried VPN-s but either I failed to set them up, or they didn't solve the problem.

For now I've put it back to half hr updates.

As for the port block, have you tried port 25566? The creative Server is on there at the minute, if you can get on that I can easily move the main server to there.

Another way is to use a free Proxy service (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+proxy+sites&oq=free+proxy&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.7180j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8), but note Uni may not look to well on that if they find out.
Regiment 5 - Legion

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 02:28:48 am »
I'd prioritise performance over map updates. I know today was an isolated incident, but I mainly use the map to orient myself. Even if it was updated daily it would be fine for my needs and I'd rather not have terribad lag :p
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

BaskB

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:44 am »
All,

Keep me posted today on how the server is running.

Looking into overviewer it appears that the 4 worlds are all rendered at the sametime! (This is a known issue) This is what likely has led to the mass memory leak.

If it slows down today let me know here as I have good access to the forums, I'll then switch it back to the one map only that is rendered and will look at other options for the 4 way view (run on my home pc once a day and transferred over via ftp so doesnt eat any memory)
Regiment 5 - Legion

Gregory Gallangher

• The Lord Ellpus
  • Woldean Court
  • Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
I could set up a VPN! Glory to the Union!
~'Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose.'~

BaskB

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 10:50:58 pm »
All,

Ok presently were just having the one view angle on the map due to memory leakage.

I have found a fix that I can apply via a cron job, that should let us run all 4 angles. But until I get home I cant apply this to the server so will leave at juts one angle till Monday.

Regiment 5 - Legion

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 12:07:29 am »
bask y u so smart

BaskB

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:10:47 am »
Ok trying again with the 4 angled map and the memory fix I found. Will be online all day to monitor also
Regiment 5 - Legion

Alice

• Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Boblo Island
  • Rabbit hole explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:47 am »
Sounds like a good day
Everything you say is boring and incomprehensible, but that alone doesn't make it true.
Quote from: Professor Bob Boblo
He had spent his whole life despised and hated for the mere triviality of wearing dresses and make-up despite possessing a (rather magnificent) penis, and this persecution had fostered within him both a desperate yearning to be loved and appreciated, and an iconoclastic desire to subvert and destroy the odious traditions on which society was built.