Author Topic: Here's an Idea...  (Read 539 times)

Talon Karrde

• Party - TUP
Here's an Idea...
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:22:19 pm »
The Speaker Act thingy is fairly defunct at this stage, and while we do elect a speaker they're never really held to account and never really do very much work...

The system worked better when everyone bought into it, whether that was in the MoLA days or in the times congress used the forums more.

My solution to the problem is fairly simple- we get rid of the speaker act itself, but carry on having someone try to organize things- be that appointed by the CP / Government, or someone rising through congress itself.

I've been watching House of Cards recently, and I rather enjoy the way ambitious individuals rise to leadership by hook or by crook, or in our case, by persuading either the CP or congress to appoint them as congress manager or INSERT WHATEVER TITLE YOU WANT HERE.

I bet every month they're be at least a couple of members of congress with enough ambition to bother getting support, so unless my five minutes of thinking on the matter have failed to turn up some obvious issues then an influence based system should work.

An example is with the upcoming election- Rob the Bruce has released a couple of articles explaining that he is running, why, and what his program is. As it stands he has my support and I could probably whip up a few TUP votes for him. If one or two more people did that in their parties too, he'd easily have enough support to manage congress.

Maybe we want to quantify how much support is needed, maybe we should just leave it and let the CP step in if congress can't get its act together. I don't really mind tbh, but I bet it'll at least be a little bit fun to see what happens. If a CP really needs a message with congress and there's no speaker, I bet they could just make a message themselves!

Thoughts?

Tuus in terra servus, nuntius fui; officium perfeci

JiminyChristmas

• Political - Member of Parliament
Re: Here's an Idea...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:15:49 pm »
Don't really see how this would be different from the way it's happening now...?

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »
The speaker act is terrible legislation.

I think we should do away with the speaker altogether and go back to a MoLA.

How does one go about repealing things these days?  I guess I'll just do it the old (better) way.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:14 pm »
Mention of me  :D

If we were to quantify how much support is needed following your system, it could be difficult to get more than 70% on any one guy due to how divided the eUK and its congress normally is. I'd rather the CP didn't have to step in, that bloke/blokess has much more important things to be doing than opening PMs.
Let's all bicker like married people that loathe each other.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:05 pm »
It's defunct because no one has given a flower about congress, the principles it aims to uphold are still important and relevant, but we as congress need to get standards up and take ourselves more seriously, having a CP appointed mola hinders more than helps that
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.
A cushier fate for a barber,
A more noble life, is not to be had.

New? Check Woldy's Young Achievers for free stuffs.

[21] <GokuJ> hi woldy, you are a beacon of entertainment

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:50 pm »
Your intentions are honorouble Woldy.  Perhaps you need to be more realistic though.  You've been on this crusade to improve congress for years now and it's actually only gotten worse due to the continually falling standard of many of the candidates and catering to the lowest common denominator.  Whilst it's great to aim for utopia, we should plan for a realistic outcome.

When I play golf, I'd love to hole my approach shot but I'll get much better scores in reality if I aim for the middle of the green.

Congress has become a place where people go back and forth talking about stuff (circle jerk again) but don't actually get much done.

You'll get your way.  The legislation will be tweaked slightly and the same shit affair will happen every month.  Sure it may work for a month or two while it's fresh in people's minds but after that, we're back to the current mess.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »
Then we have to find away to make congressmen accountable methinks
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

Will leaks do?
Let's all bicker like married people that loathe each other.

Bohemond4

• Viscount of Cambrige
  • Woldean Court
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:21:23 pm »

Will leaks do?

hue

The best accountable system is, sadly, no longer in place. First Past the Post, sadly before my time, but would allow the people the opportunity to gang together and throw out shit MPs
Viscount of Cambridge
We should all just quit the game.  It just to flowering divisive

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 06:48:43 am »
The old voting system was great because the public didn't vote in sleepers. Now we have to rely on PPs not to run them, and their dick waving tends to get in the way of that
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.