Author Topic: Proposal - Repeal the Speaker Act  (Read 1043 times)

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
Proposal - Repeal the Speaker Act
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »
The legislation isn't actually followed as it is.  It's always the same disorganised mess each month.

The previous system of a CP appointed Minister of Legislative Affairs was better and helped to avoid gaps where no-one was doing the job like we currently get every month.  If someone did a good job, it would also be easier for them to potentially remain in the post and us to have some continuity.  A good MoLA could grow the role into something more useful as well under the remit of a CP.

Sponsors (or however it works these days) please.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
Re: Proposal - Repeal the Speaker Act
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:01 pm »
I think there should be a speaker, congress needs to be organised for sure.

Whether or not the act helps or hinders that is something it is about time we reviewed though. I don't know if a repeal is the best choice, but I am definitely pro a discussion on it and reforming it.

Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.
A cushier fate for a barber,
A more noble life, is not to be had.

New? Check Woldy's Young Achievers for free stuffs.

[21] <GokuJ> hi woldy, you are a beacon of entertainment

Tiger Style

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding the role of a Minister of Legislature Affairs, but why not have both a Speaker and MoLA? One (the speaker) to ensure that congress stays organized, and one (MoLA) to ensure communication between the President, Cabinet, and Congress.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »
I agree, the Speaker role is always bloody messy, as has been proven by the dodgy start to this term.

MoLA would work nicely, though it is possible for crap CPs to simply appoint crap people.

As you brought up continuity as a point, could it be easier to get a bloke the majority trust to do the job properly to get some sort of permanent position, I guess not dissimilar to how you used to have Keers being the citizenship guy (unless I've dreamed that story up)?

Idk just an idea.

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding the role of a Minister of Legislature Affairs, but why not have both a Speaker and MoLA? One (the speaker) to ensure that congress stays organized, and one (MoLA) to ensure communication between the President, Cabinet, and Congress.

Sounds a bit iffy, would be easier to condense those two jobs into one thing.
Let's all bicker like married people that loathe each other.

Nathan Slater

• Member of Congress
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:38:12 pm »

I like this better tbh, If i remember rightly MoLA was a massive task when its fully implemented. Having a speaker of deputy MoLA iif you will, needs to be place to control congress but work in line with MoLA to keep everything ticking over nicely.

In terms of a permanent role, back when we had an MoLA it was Bowenn and he was MoLA every single term because he did a great job of it. We'd have to come across someone of a similar nature and had the time to do it.
NSlater- MID Aug 2010
NSlater-Military Cross 2011

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
[snip]

If i remember rightly MoLA was a massive task when its fully implemented.

Well if MoLA was all about legislation as well as the speaker role, back then it would've been a huge task, you had a lot more legislation being processed back in the "old days".

Nowadays we don't get much, it could be easily handled by one guy.

JiminyChristmas

• Political - Member of Parliament
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:48:01 pm »
I disagree with the idea of a CP selected Speaker (or MoLA).  There's already a tendency for Congress to lapse into a rubber stamp body for authorising the CP's proposals, if the person running Congress' discussions and votes is beholden to the CP for their position it'll make things even worse.

My suggestion would be that people who want to be Speaker should be stepping forward before the Congressional elections (as Rob the Bruce has this time round with his articles).  Once the Congressional elections are finalised (2 PM on the 26th or whatever) 24 hours of voting should start for who should be Speaker - this could be done in an article from one of the Government ministries (MoHA seems reasonable).  That way we waste as little time as possible, and don't rely on PPs (who may not know what they're doing/care about the Speaker position) or previous Speakers (who may not be interested in helping out the new Congress that they aren't part of) to get the ball rolling.

To be honest, I don't think the details on how the vote is run matter so much, but I do think it's important that Congress should be electing it's leader, not the CP that we're supposed to be providing oversight of.

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:55:34 pm »
As you brought up continuity as a point, could it be easier to get a bloke the majority trust to do the job properly to get some sort of permanent position

Would anyone be that mad to want to do it permanently?  Also, that would just cause bitching from one party vs another and accusations of elitism etc.

I disagree with the idea of a CP selected Speaker (or MoLA).  There's already a tendency for Congress to lapse into a rubber stamp body for authorising the CP's proposals

The MoLA doesn't have any power to force anything on congress.  They would only be counting votes, producing reports and reminding congress of what discussions/votes are taking place.  It's an administrative role.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
My suggestion would be that people who want to be Speaker should be stepping forward before the Congressional elections (as Rob the Bruce has this time round with his articles)

My article only came about before the actual election because I knew I was getting into congress, 1st on the list it was basically guaranteed. When you're about 5-7th on the list of say the 4th or 5th party starting your campaign before the congress election is a bit awkward if you're not sure you're actually going to get in or not.

As you brought up continuity as a point, could it be easier to get a bloke the majority trust to do the job properly to get some sort of permanent position

Would anyone be that mad to want to do it permanently?  Also, that would just cause bitching from one party vs another and accusations of elitism etc.

I'd be mad enough to consider it, for reasons I don't quite know. As for bitching, stick a bit in the legislation that makes the bloke "permanent speaker" (gotta have legislation, bitches love legislation) that allows them to be removed and replaced if they're doing a crap job. Simply one congressman can ask for a vote, PermaSpeaker/MoLA gives them one, if over 50% vote to get rid of him/her then they're gone, and a replacement can be elected. That way they can't exactly claim elitism if most of congress votes to keep the bugger in. Or if they were to they'd get shot down by logic like the way Dapper's articles all end up.

Tiger Style

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »

I'd be mad enough to consider it, for reasons I don't quite know. As for bitching, stick a bit in the legislation that makes the bloke "permanent speaker" (gotta have legislation, bitches love legislation) that allows them to be removed and replaced if they're doing a crap job. Simply one congressman can ask for a vote, PermaSpeaker/MoLA gives them one, if over 50% vote to get rid of him/her then they're gone, and a replacement can be elected. That way they can't exactly claim elitism if most of congress votes to keep the bugger in. Or if they were to they'd get shot down by logic like the way Dapper's articles all end up.

I like the idea of a no-confidence vote in order to remove the speaker if he isn't performing his/her duties well.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »
CPs should communicate with speakers, the MoLA role isn't really needed.

The issue with a permanent speaker is that they may not be reelected, so we would have to accept that the speaker could under that circumstance be a non-congressman. Whether or not that's an issue is up for debate, it should be ok if they don't try to exercise influence or vote.

Apart from that it could be alright, as long as the no confidence stuff is fair.
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:20 pm »

I like the idea of a no-confidence vote in order to remove the speaker if he isn't performing his/her duties well.

We sort of have that already, though nobody bothers with it:

Speaker Act

Aims:
To establish procedures surrounding the election of a Congressional speaker to manage legislative and Congressional affairs.

Procedure:
1a. Citizens running for Congress may nominate themselves or be nominated to take on the role of speaker; and must communicate this to their Party President before election day.
b. Nominations will end at 00:00 erep time on the 24th of each month.
c. Congressmen/women will vote on those nominees who were elected to Congress on the 26th of each month.
d. The CP or outgoing speaker must oversee the process and run the vote.

2a. The speaker will process proposed legislation and legislative changes.
b. Any amendment or proposed bill will have a maximum 48 hour discussion period with members of Congress and the public followed by concurrent vote.
c. Any bill must receive %50+1 of Congress’ vote to become legislation.

3. The speaker is to track activity and attendance of Congress members, information recorded is to be made publicly accessible.

4. Speakers may rerun for the position provided they are reelected to Congress.

5a. If the Speaker needs to be replaced whomever came 2nd in the vote on the 26th will take up the role.
b. Speakers may stand down at any point.
c. Congress may vote to replace their Speaker should they feel that they are not fulfilling their responsibilities, with a %50+1 vote needed to depose them.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:34 pm »
Also I would encourage people to read this http://forums.erepublik.co.uk/index.php?topic=86448.0 to familiarise themselves with the current system to figure out what should be changed.

This was out together when everyone hated each other, I have a feeling that the selection of the speaker could be streamlined now.
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
Speaker and MoLA are p much just different names for the same job.

Call it a speaker if you like.  Just repeal the gorram act and preferably let the CP appoint them.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
CP appointing them is dumb, just means a monthly circle jerk puts someone in charge. Congress should have the right to select themselves who represents them to the CP
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.

Tiger Style

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:03 pm »
CP appointing them is dumb, just means a monthly circle jerk puts someone in charge. Congress should have the right to select themselves who represents them to the CP

I agree with Woldy. I think that congress should be as independent as possible from the President.

Rob the Bruce

• Party - UKRP
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:12 pm »

Also allows for epic amounts of cronyism

JiminyChristmas

• Political - Member of Parliament
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »
My suggestion would be that people who want to be Speaker should be stepping forward before the Congressional elections (as Rob the Bruce has this time round with his articles)

My article only came about before the actual election because I knew I was getting into congress, 1st on the list it was basically guaranteed. When you're about 5-7th on the list of say the 4th or 5th party starting your campaign before the congress election is a bit awkward if you're not sure you're actually going to get in or not.

If it becomes the accepted norm for people to campaign without knowing whether they'll get into congress or not I don't see why it would be awkward.  Waiting until congress is finalised before campaigning means that either people don't have time to read, discuss and consider your intentions, or the Speaker vote becomes so delayed that we're several days into Congress' term before we're even ready to begin business.  Considering three days is ~10% of the term, I think it's important to get the Speaker thing settled as quickly as possible.

Mr Woldy

• King
  • Party - PCP
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:37 pm »

Also allows for epic amounts of cronyism

We need to remember when we talk about CP and parliament communication that congress does not need a representative from cabinet, cabinet needs a representative from congress.
Ready to do everything
Night and day,
Always on the move.

Dan Moir

• Party - TUP
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »

Thanks  :roll:

It's not dumb at all.  The current system doesn't work and it has been proven so, yet people persist with it month after month.  Now that's dumb.

Unless the Vendetta lot or the Serbs come into power, I don't see why any CP would appoint anyone other than the best person they see for the job from the applicants.  It's not like there will be loads of applicants.  It's usually between 2 people anyway (looking like a single person this month).  Chances are, you'll get the same guy doing the job only without the current circlejerk!

And if those undesirables do get into power, they won't give a shit about the rules for the election of a speaker/MoLA.