eRepublik UK

Author Topic: Assigning more RAM to Minecraft  (Read 966 times)

Carlini8

• MU - Command - The Legion
Assigning more RAM to Minecraft
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:46:18 pm »
Hey guys,

I have tried assigning more RAM to Minecraft as it was defaulted to 1GB, I managed to get it to 3GB with googling but I really want to up it which the game will not let me do.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

http://prntscr.com/59hjlm

This is how I have managed to get it to use 3 - any idea on how to up it past that? If I put in more I get this error:

http://prntscr.com/59hk6b

Anyone manage to up it past 3 themselves?

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
Re: Assigning more RAM to Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:56:40 pm »
you would need 64-bit java to go over the 4gb limit of 32, i would assume.

no idea why you would need to use that much anyway, using 64bit java tends to solve any memory problems
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:58:41 pm by Diakun »
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

Gregory Gallangher

• The Lord Ellpus
  • Woldean Court
  • Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:35:12 am »

This is how I do it. I think I use 64 bit java too.
~'Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose.'~

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:06 am »
If you need more than 3gb it seems to me any issues you're facing won't be client side.
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

BaskB

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:40 am »
If you need more than 3gb it seems to me any issues you're facing won't be client side.

Got to agree with this, am using just 1Gb myself and never see any issues.

Remember you only need masses of Ram if your playing MC locally on your PC (ie your own Singleplayer world), if its a Multiplayer server 90% of issues are Internet Latency issues caused by network speeds etc.

As I've mentioned to people before, the eUK server will only ever send you personally a view distance of 9 chunks, if you have 32 set in your local options (which is the new maximum I recall) it won't do diddly s*it as the server will ONLY ever send you 9 chunks in all directions, this is simply just to keep the amount of data the server sends out good enough for most (especially those with weaker connections).

Regiment 5 - Legion

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:10 am »
I have mine set to 4gb but I've watched the f3 before and I've never seen my usage on the UK server go much over 1gb
"Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." ~ Mt 11:28

Darkmantle

• Archivists
  • Bot Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »
You need to consider what else is running on your computer, most likely it's either a network issue as said, a CPU issue, or you just have too much running on your PC.

You can assign as much memory as you want to MC but it won't make a difference if the memory is already in use elsewhere. Check your task manager processes, ensure you stop any un-needed services from starting on boot (use CCleaner - brilliant software) and check your network speeds.

Iain Keers

• Party - TUP
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »
Be careful with CCleaner cos ironically that's often bundled with malware lol

Carlini8

• MU - Command - The Legion
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:46 pm »
I was under the impression I had 64-bit java. I wanted to be able to assign more for effectively single player (server and playing on this PC). I am not currently facing any issues, I simply want to throw a bit more RAM at it. It's not like I am having issues with the eUK server or anything!

How would I check the type of java I have? I did reinstall with what I assumed was 64-bit but maybe its not.

There is plenty of RAM available Mantle, I recently shoved loads into my PC as I have reason to have quite a few VMs open at a time. I have the paid version of CCleaner as it is also good for what I do with the VMs, if anyone has a better way of getting rid of iesnare I am all ears!

Diakun

• Hikikomori
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:58 pm »
I was under the impression I had 64-bit java. I wanted to be able to assign more for effectively single player (server and playing on this PC). I am not currently facing any issues, I simply want to throw a bit more RAM at it. It's not like I am having issues with the eUK server or anything!

How would I check the type of java I have? I did reinstall with what I assumed was 64-bit but maybe its not.

There is plenty of RAM available Mantle, I recently shoved loads into my PC as I have reason to have quite a few VMs open at a time. I have the paid version of CCleaner as it is also good for what I do with the VMs, if anyone has a better way of getting rid of iesnare I am all ears!

64 bit java would not be in the x86 program files, look in the other one
Nymeus - 5:56 PM
I've got a picture of diakun and his dick
he can easily make people ashamed of how small they are, cause his is big
need to know anything else?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What precious metal is a currency in erepublik?:
How do you spell 'Frerk'?:
What social MMO is this forum linked to?: